DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We bought a new house and I'm still learning all the small little things.... I need to be replacing al our air filters right now. My old furnace had a filter in the actual unit and thats what I am used to but I don't know that this is the case now. Currently I have a Goodman Furnace Model No. GOODMAN CAPF3030B6 - but there doesn't seem to be anywhere I can see for a filter? In other areas of the house there are 2 air intake vents w/ filters on the second floor, and one w/ filter in the floor on the 1st floor... Furnace is in the basement. Are those possibly the only filters I need to be changing or is there a hidden filter in the furnace I am not catching?

I know how dumb a question that seems - thanks for the help.

· A "Handy Husband"
15,052 Posts
Filters on the cold air returns are optimum. They catch the dust and dirt before it gets into your duct.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

· Registered
12,222 Posts
Hold tight, we have a few pros here that can answer better than me.

But to answer your question --- anything is possible --- filters on registers may be the only ones you have. But another question is how good/bad is this ? So you said "new house" -- is this house new ?

A picture of the furnace and the filters you found likely would help. The filter holder is not really part of the furnace, just normally sits in front of the furnace.

My friend had an old furnace with electrostatic filter, which didn't work. At one point the blower motor must have fried and somebody replaced the whole blower with another that that they must have pulled from their junk pile. Somehow, the only filter was a fiberglass sheet on the blower (don't really remember how they managed that arrangement), and of course, never got changed. I was asked to look at it when that motor would only hum.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.