DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,

I have a roughly 10 yr old furnace which up to now has worked perfectly (don't exactly know brand). Now that i have turned the a/c on, all of a sudden, the blower, ignitor, exhaust fan, gas, and condenser are all running at the same time. The only way to shut it off is to kill the power via breaker. I thought it might be the connections, so i checked and everything looks good. I even replaced the Tstat, which did no good. Right now, the only way to get A/C is to turn it on, unplug the ignitor, turn off the gas, and let it go, but at night, it gets in the lower 60's because the only way to shut it off is though the fuze box. Any ideas on what is happening here??? The pcb inside the furnace is a honeywell, and so is the Tstat. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
try running the HEAT off the stat if the AC runs also then stat wires from the stat to the furnace are touching.White/HEAT/W...Yellow/COOLING/Y .disconnect either color down in the furnace and call for the other see if you get both if you have spare wires in the pull flip the colors to the spare wires at the stat and in the furnace...if you want both systems to run automatic off the stat.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank You Biggles,

I took it a step further and disconnected the Tstat upstairs, took it down to the furnace and connected with 4 new 8" pieces of wire, and low and behold, everything worked perfect. Pulled a new 18/5 from the Tstat on the wall to the furnace, and now it works. Had no idea that a short in the wire could cause such problems.

Thanks Again !!!!!!!!

Jackandfresca

1 - 3 of 3 Posts