DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We are remodeling a home in Texas (hot & humid!) and want to do a dry stack look wainscot of natural stone 4" chopped (more dense than limestone). The guy at the stone place where we ordered it said you should normally do either metal lathe or tie-ins. There is a decent footing and the wainscot will only be around 3-4ft high so our contractor said we don't need to do either of those.

Do we need to go so far as to use lathe or tie-ins or can we lay each brick down and throw mortar behind it (they are literally throwing it, not doing a skim coat or troweling to leave grooves for suction), smoothing out the top and sides, then adding more stone on top and continuing the process (see image below). This is how our mason is doing it and I'm concerned with it not adhering to the Tyvek. Tyvek is the only thing between the stone and the plywood. (don't know why image turned after upload but it's supposed to be counterclockwise)

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was never given manufactures installation instructions. I will call the stone supplier and ask for that though, thanks!

·
Registered
766 Posts
Hey y’all... round here when using full bed stone they call for a 1” air gap between the stone and the sheething/house wrap... you guys with experience is that not the norm and does it very by state/region?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts