DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So i have a standard Builder rough-in for plumbing in my basement. I have framed my bathroom and everything is set in place. The Shower/Tub stub is positioned at 8.5" from the wall to centre drain, and 18" from the side wall to centre drain. I have had three plumbers in and all have different thoughts. The first said that I would have to break the floor in a 12"x12" square around the stub regardless of what i place in that space. The other two didnt know why i would have to do that. If I have to break the floor around the stub, then I would like to put in a stand up shower and move the stub back 2 or so inches ... Otherwise i just would drop a tub in and make the necessary connections ...

Can anyome please help and provide advise?
Anyone had this dilemma with thier basement?

I have attached a picture ...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
I agree with plumber Jim. I cannot tell what size the tub drain piping is, but it needs to be 2" for a shower unit. Only needs to be 1-1/2" for tub/shower combo.

·
Remodeling Contractor
3,590 Posts
For a tub you need to remove the concrete as posted to make the drain connections. for a shower you will not, you can make a custom base to set the drain where it is or even use a Kerdi drain with systems from Schluter.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
While Bob Mariani may be correct about the type of base to install, , you need to insure there is a trap under the concrete or add one. Seriously doubt a trap is installed.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Also, the toilet riser that is stubbed up needs to be chipped up around the pipe to get the flange on, unless it is not a 3" pipe and is a 4", but it looks like 3" in the pic, and watch out if it is a standard tub/shower then the pipe needs to be 2" or less off the right wall and around 15" offf the back, unless the tub is wider than 30". if it is a shower "base" than some bases drain connections sit around 1"1/2 inches below the concret in which case you will need to chip up the perimiter of the pipe, now for the 12 x 12 hole they told you to chip up, all that concrete is not needed to be removed just a channel going from the shoe to your pipe.

·
HVAC / Plumbing
1,801 Posts
I never knew ABS was still being used until I joined this site.. I though everyone had transitioned over to PVC .. No ABS around here.. PVC or ductile iron

1 - 8 of 8 Posts