DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of my son has a 200 lb. propane tank which provides fuel to his fireplace. The Fisher regulator keeps freezing up and works again after pouring hot water over it. Any suggestions as to problem/fix. I'm thinking , low on fuel or appliance pulling too much fuel but, definitely open to other ideas. Thanks to all... Techpappy:biggrin2:

·
Registered
13,665 Posts
Your son's friend will need to locate a supplier that sells gas with a moisture content of 7 pounds or less of water per million cubic feet of gas. The gas in his tank has a dew point temperature that's too high.

So until that happens a heated regulator is the only solution.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Senior Sitizen, However, I have never seen nor heard of a heater for a gas pressure regulator nor, can I find any such animal online. Sounds a little hazardous:surprise: but, if they exist I would sure like to know where I can get one.

·
Registered
13,665 Posts
Thanks Senior Sitizen, However, I have never seen nor heard of a heater for a gas pressure regulator nor, can I find any such animal online. Sounds a little hazardous:surprise: but, if they exist I would sure like to know where I can get one.
Your hot water application has always been the the norm for an occasional freeze up and does work. For persistent freezing a heat trace tape/cable, applied according to instructions, under an insulating blanket will work.

·
Master General ReEngineer
10,200 Posts
Ayuh,.... Call the gas supplier, 'n have 'em put a shot of methanol into the tank,....

Dry-gas for propane,.... Done all the time, though they won't tell ya that,....

·
Registered
13,665 Posts
Ayuh,.... Call the gas supplier, 'n have 'em put a shot of methanol into the tank,....

Dry-gas for propane,.... Done all the time, though they won't tell ya that,....
Methanol and water is cheap isn't it so they will just keep on keeping on selling wet gas.

Nothing wrong with the heat cable. We aren't talkin about heating the bottle to 140 degrees, it's the regulator that's freezing and one trip of 3 or 7 watt/ft. of heat cable across it with insulation will solve the problem but a wrap of cable around the tank with insulation isn't going to make a bomb either.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Methanol and water is cheap isn't it so they will just keep on keeping on selling wet gas.

Nothing wrong with the heat cable. We aren't talkin about heating the bottle to 140 degrees, it's the regulator that's freezing and one trip of 3 or 7 watt/ft. of heat cable across it with insulation will solve the problem but a wrap of cable around the tank with insulation isn't going to make a bomb either.
untill a mouse that makes its nest in that warm pocket of insulation and chews through the wire and it sparks against the propane canister.............

·
Administrator
42,390 Posts
Check the LP level. Your probably right that its low. probably less then 20%, and the heater is drawing the propane off too quickly for the surface area of the propane level.

If the tank is at 50% give or take 10%. Then call the LP company, because they may be delivering wet LP.

·
Administrator
42,390 Posts
untill a mouse that makes its nest in that warm pocket of insulation and chews through the wire and it sparks against the propane canister.............
Yep. And even if it doesn't cause a fire, the lost of 100 to 160 pounds of LP is not some a person wants to pay for suddenly. Not to mention the repair.

·
Master General ReEngineer
10,200 Posts
Ayuh,.... Good dry propane, or propane that's been methanol'ed should work down to sub-0° without problem,.....

We've run hi-hat heaters, 'n salamander heaters off 100lb tanks at -30°,....

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks everyone. Will follow up regarding suggestions and let you know the outcome as soon as I get feedback. If I do. I will hound my son if not however he is like most of us and really wants to know the fix for anything he does.

Thanks again, Techpappy

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.