1 - 20 of 54 Posts

· Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
PLEASE DON'T LAUGH

So back in the day I've done burgers on the BBQ, both frozen, defrosted
and usually they come out good.

so not being able to break out old charcky, I am pan frying,
I ve used the same make a couple of times, and I'm falling flat on my face.

I'm used to good steaks, and sometimes you just wanna put a burger in the pan, when I follow instructions to the letter them come out like hockey pucks

from freezer, cook on medium heat for 5 min's a side
like they just come out wrong.

I read you shouldn't defrost frozen burgers, as I would usually do a steak, at room temp.

should I baste, turn it more, defrost them, cook em lower, cook em faster
what ?:vs_mad::vs_mad::vs_mad:

Yes I know about making my own, but I just wanna cook a 1/2 way decent frozen burger

:(

ok you can laugh now :vs_smirk::vs_smirk:

· DIY Veteran
711 Posts
From a health standpoint frozen burgers are generally heart attack food. Look at the % of fat, meaning 80% or even worse 73% ect.

I use 90% fresh ground sirloin and hand make the patties with garlic powder, and minced onions and peppers ect. mixing these ingredients in the ground beef. Use what you prefer. Cooking them on the BBQ is the best without saying but they're delicious pan fried too.

Yes the 90% beef tends not to hold together as well but with a little TLC it's worth the the extra health benefits and flavor.

Try it and you'll never go back. It's worth the extra effort, trust me on this one. :wink2:

· Registered
14,953 Posts
Two parts.
I have a butcher shop where I can get 93% that is probably closer to 98% extremely low on fat and i hate them. Poor taste and dry. They also have an 85% much better but still far less fat then grocery store 85%. I judge that by the amount of grease left after cooking. When you choose a top line steak a sign of a good one is well marbled, meaning lots of fat.

As for cooking from thawed or frozen either works but you need to use a meat thermometer of practice until you get the touch for just how you want them. I like 140° or slightly less for a tender burger. Some will prefer a little more well done, but by the clock you will get those hockey pucks.

Bud

· DIY Veteran
711 Posts
Two parts.
I have a butcher shop where I can get 93% that is probably closer to 98% extremely low on fat and i hate them. Poor taste and dry. They also have an 85% much better but still far less fat then grocery store 85%. I judge that by the amount of grease left after cooking. When you choose a top line steak a sign of a good one is well marbled, meaning lots of fat.

As for cooking from thawed or frozen either works but you need to use a meat thermometer of practice until you get the touch for just how you want them. I like 140° or slightly less for a tender burger. Some will prefer a little more well done, but by the clock you will get those hockey pucks.

Bud
Yes over 90% is too lean except for taco or chili meat ect. Truth is fat tastes good but we can live longer with less fat to enjoy life longer. Meat thermometer is a thing I don't use. I like my burgers a little pink in the middle. A lot of people think pink is raw meat because it's not well done. Ground beef is ground steak and steak medium rare does not make you sick. Now chicken and pork must be well done all the time.
I'm getting hungry now. :vs_cool:

· Registered
30,723 Posts
Yes over 90% is too lean except for taco or chili meat ect. Truth is fat tastes good but we can live longer with less fat to enjoy life longer. Meat thermometer is a thing I don't use. I like my burgers a little pink in the middle. A lot of people think pink is raw meat because it's not well done. Ground beef is ground steak and steak medium rare does not make you sick. Now chicken and pork must be well done all the time.
I'm getting hungry now. :vs_cool:

The reason for cooking ground beef well, is the risk of E. Coli. When beef is hung up, the cut to clean it can nick the bowels. Then, unlike a steak, the meat is ground up, putting the potentially contaminated meat in the middle, also, unlike a steak. You can cook a steak medium-rare & kill off the E.Coli on the outside, but, ground beef needs to be cooked thru-out.

The frozen hamburger company is covering their liability by telling you not to defrost it & to overcook it.

I don't buy ground beef.

· Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok a bit more clearer now on the "over cooking" right, got it,

So, I'm sure on all the occasions prior when BBQ'ing I have always left the burgers in the fridge to defrost, both frozen and fresh burger patties, I've never got sick... so I'm guessing lucky.

yes pink in the middle , I'm also understanding why my workplace canteen has a sign up about only cooking burgers well. mind you there ones though not overly juicy are still quite good.

The burgers I used (can't remember now) don't fill the pan with ANY grease, there marketed as sirloin steak burgers, they are at least 2" thick and don't loose any size

In fact I have to oil the pan up. Otherwise they burn.

"The Keg" frozen burgers I tried last time were good, but they were thinner and not a round shape.

Maybe get thinner burgers, cook them lower and slower and maybe baste them as there frying.

I get making patties, I do, but I wanna crack these....

I'll check the packaging for the fat content.

· Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
maybe another way would be to boil them to cook them first,
then flash fry in a pan ? Like a reverse sear ?
Or perhaps in a oven pan with some gravy and bang them in the oven

· Registered
8,178 Posts
I eat frozen Bubba Burgers. They come out great whatever way I cook them. I have one every couple of weeks and I don’t try to fool myself into believing that a burger that tastes like crap but has a little less fat is somehow health food.

· Registered
176 Posts
maybe another way would be to boil them to cook them first,
then flash fry in a pan ? Like a reverse sear ?
Or perhaps in a oven pan with some gravy and bang them in the oven
OMG!! Boiling?? :vs_mad:

I suppose you're speaking of the prefrozen type you get in a box at the store that's cheaper? They stink, imo. I don't mess with those. Get the ones that are gorund. I prefer more fat than most do cause it tastes good, but everyone says that's not healthy, but then those same people will eat the darn thing almost raw. :vs_OMG:

If they're frozen, put them in a heated skillet and cook them slow (electric stove, about #4; gas, the flame should be just a bit more than needed to keep the burner lit). Put a lid on them for the first few mintes til they're thawed a bit. From a frozen state, it would take my burger at least 20 minutes this way.

People get into too big a rush cooking. Low and slow is the way to go!

· Registered
5,711 Posts
PLEASE DON'T LAUGH

Yes I know about making my own, but I just wanna cook a 1/2 way decent frozen burger

:(

ok you can laugh now :vs_smirk::vs_smirk:

It is very hard to do and I don't.

But, If you really want to:

Get the pan nice and hot (375-400) put the meat in the pan and cover. Cook 40-50%, take off cover and turn the burger, continue cooking uncovered until it is as done as you want.

This still won't be as good as one you thaw and cook but it will be about as good as it is going to get. The steam during the first half of cooking thaws the meat and the sear comes later.

· Registered
6,042 Posts
First question is: Are they fully cooked and frozen or are they frozen raw?
Both should be cooked from frozen. Freezer to pan or grate. They are designed this way. They come out better when you do follow directions. The only thing I do in addition to directions is to season them and use a little granulated garlic.

Another thing that is important with juicy burgers is to have at least 20% fat. Meaning 80/20 is going to produce a better burger than 90/10.
Save your lean ground beef for other things like chili or taco mix. Burgers need some fat to render and to drop onto the coals outside and into the pan inside.
Low percentage fat burgers can be dry and tasteless.

Frozen to the grill or grate is the way to go. I have proven it a few times. BTW, good frozen patties can make a darn good burger.
I would rather have a frozen burger than a burger with less than 20% fat. In fact 25% is even better.

· Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
frozen raw

First question is: Are they fully cooked and frozen or are they frozen raw?
Both should be cooked from frozen. Freezer to pan or grate. They are designed this way. They come out better when you do follow directions. The only thing I do in addition to directions is to season them and use a little granulated garlic.

Another thing that is important with juicy burgers is to have at least 20% fat. Meaning 80/20 is going to produce a better burger than 90/10.
Save your lean ground beef for other things like chili or taco mix. Burgers need some fat to render and to drop onto the coals outside and into the pan inside.
Low percentage fat burgers can be dry and tasteless.

Frozen to the grill or grate is the way to go. I have proven it a few times. BTW, good frozen patties can make a darn good burger.
I would rather have a frozen burger than a burger with less than 20% fat. In fact 25% is even better.

· Registered
206 Posts
From a health standpoint frozen burgers are generally heart attack food. Look at the % of fat, meaning 80% or even worse 73% ect.
This is old nutritional advice that has been part of the wave of obesity that is now the #1 cause of death in the developed world.

Saturated fat (and fat in general) is not the demon we thought it once was, in fact that opposite is true. You should be more concerned about the bun and the soybean oil mayonaise you are wrapping around your burger.

Enjoy your fat -- there's a reason it tastes good and leaves you feeling good.

· Registered
30,723 Posts
This is old nutritional advice that has been part of the wave of obesity that is now the #1 cause of death in the developed world.

Saturated fat (and fat in general) is not the demon we thought it once was, in fact that opposite is true. You should be more concerned about the bun and the soybean oil mayonaise you are wrapping around your burger.

Enjoy your fat -- there's a reason it tastes good and leaves you feeling good.

It's still controversial.

· JUSTA MEMBER
20,371 Posts
There is no amount of sugar that is beneficial for you. There is no amount of lead that is good. "Moderation" is a reasonable place to start for plenty of things, but it rarely is optimal.
Both of those are true, And I personally do not ingest either. :devil3:

The same thing can be said about Mercury, Molybdenum, and several other things on this planet.

ED

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.