DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Front yard tree and landscape ideas

2K views 21 replies 9 participants last post by  SeniorSitizen 
#1 ·
Good morning, looking for front yard landscape ideas for my broad face ranch (pic below). I figure I may want a low canopy tree on far right, it needs to be limited to maybe 25 feet high or lower due to a larger tree being nearby.

Thanks very much.

PS was going to bring flower bed out with plantings to give a more substancial look

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Good morning, looking for front yard landscape ideas for my broad face ranch (pic below). I figure I may want a low canopy tree on far right, it needs to be limited to maybe 25 feet high or lower due to a larger tree being nearby.

PS was going to bring flower bed out with plantings to give a more substancial look

Where are you? That's the huge question. City/County and state/province is enough. That will determine what will be happy and what won't, in the long and short term.

You can have oodles of fun fun fun with a yard that big. Looks like the eastern US somewhere.

#7 · (Edited)
I'm in California now, but I'm originally from Ohio, which is similar to Pennsylvania (still have family in Pittsburgh). Sometimes I miss those lovely dark forests, but not the maintenance they can entail.

All that said, you have what looks like a lovely spot! I have a friend from high school in Ohio and he's got a place much like it.

I'd heed @SeniorSitizen's warning and think about doing something about that vine-covered tree sooner instead of later.

A HUGE problem in home lots carved out of forest is that the trees there had grown and developed, possibly for centuries, to have other trees around them for support. When some of those other trees are taken out, these skinny, wimpy trees are often quite vulnerable to tipping over in a wind.

It might be a smart idea to have someone look closely at the trees on the edge of your forest, to see how healthy they are. Sometimes, appearances of robust good health can be very deceiving. Back in 1993, my old hometown had a big, unexpected wind storm that smashed up a lot of what appeared to be nice robust trees; many were hollow inside.

#8 ·
You need to determine how much sun the tree's site gets. Most trees need sun pretty much all day. Some trees tolerate morning sun and afternoon shade. Trees which have evolved in understory environments can tolerate filtered sun/shade all day. Smoke trees (Cotinus coggygria) don't like shade. They are vulnerable to root rot in saturated soil, so they need fast drainage, and infrequent water once they are established.

#9 ·
I ended up getting a Japanese flowering Cherry for the corner and a Smoke Tree "royal purple" in my first round of plantings. The area gets pretty good sun (about 1/2 day I would say) and is well drained. As a matter of fact the soil was kinda sandy so I'm worried about them getting established.

As to the vines on the trees, I had a company come out last year and cut them (in the back yard). I just did the tree in the pic about 2 days before I took this pic. My only issue is when cutting the vines in cuts into the bark quite a bit, is this bad for the tree ?

#15 ·
I would put in a concrete horseshoe driveway

The top of the driveway would also act as the sidewalk leading to the entry door.

From the entry door a side walk would lead around the side and to the back.

In the middle of the horseshoe driveway I would install a rock garden complete with a bench/s and some flower pots with a paver walk.

I would level enough backyard for parties and install a retaining wall.

Lots of ideas here.

https://www.familyhandyman.com/?s=retaining+wall

https://www.familyhandyman.com/page/2/?s=stone+garden

#16 ·
Not thye best quality, but these are before pics of backyard, the one shows how overgrown it was, the second that is marked "Curtain" was after I cut the main bushes down. The railroad tracks are actually a surface trolley and not for a full sized train

Attachments

#17 ·
We had hill cut back and put large landscape boulders in for a lower retaining wall but it gave us about 6 more feet of back yard. I put a flagstone pation on top of an 8 inch crushed base (a lot of work). Put in a pergola and a mini deck for our pool. Weve only been here about 2.5 years and we've put a lot of work into the homes interior.

Heres some current outside pics, I've been planting a lot of pines for screening from the trolley and in hopes that when I do have to take down any of the larger trees that the pines will be large enough to provide shade.

Attachments

#20 ·
Lush greenery is wonderful. I’d love it there. I’m from NE Ohio.

I’d like to see more flowering things. Shrubs and dogwood trees in front. Things a different color from the woods behind you. When visiting up there I noticed purple leafed trees like purple plum trees and Japanese maple. I think a blue spruce would offer contrast and anchor a corner in front.

I agree about checking on health of close trees.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.