DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This spring/summer I am planning to do a total overhaul of my front porch and front steps. I have some experience building - I built a shed from plans last summer and the summer before I did my downstairs washroom from studs. However, I have some questions concerning this project. I would like to build a wood porch and stairs right over the existing porch. Also, I want to replace the metal support columns with wood. I would also like to extend the porch further out about 12-18 inches so I can get a small bistro table and chairs. Any advice or tips?

i'm not sure how to post multiple photos as it's only allowing me to post one (I think due to the size). I will try to resize the photos and post.

Thanks for any help

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
21,640 Posts
The first question is do you have enough room to raise the level by a foot? That is about what you will need to allow for joist height and decking.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ive attached a photo that includes the stairs and door. Definitely not a foot of space there. Maybe 4-5 inches.

What are my options to improve this? If you can see in the picture there is small 2 inch drop off from the stairs to the porch in front of the window as well. In the first picture you can see under the foot (right side) of the bench the stone is uneven and sinking.

Attachments

·
JUSTA MEMBER
16,027 Posts
My first question is: Is this wooden or concrete porch? Then have you considered taking it all out and starting from scratch? It looks a little unstable to me where it contacts the ground.

To do this you are going to need footers at the posts to support your framework, as well as a header at the existing building to anchor the new to.

ED

·
Registered
37,273 Posts
All that old needs to go.
Make the deck free standing.
Consider PVC, powder coated aluminum or fiberglass columns instead of wood. Less long term mantaince.
Going to need permit for this.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts