DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm at a point in a new house where it's time to install the front door AND jamb AND threshold. The floor is concrete. Do I have jamb installed first, then door, then threshold? Or jamb , threshold then door? What's best way to secure threshold to concrete? Should the jamb and threshold be the same width? Thanks, Pete ( a novice art this stuff)

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Doors come with jamb/threshold as a unit, they are installed together. There should be moisture barrier/flashing material between concrete and threshold. Wood and concrete should never touch, unless the wood is PT. There are issues about installing a door system, shimming, making sure it is plumb/level/square, weather flashing and insulation, etc..

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Bill. The situation here (Costa Rica) is a little different. They don't use thresholds. I don't know why especially considering the amount of moisture we get. The company that is selling and installing the front door DOES include the jambs but not a threshold. I could have one made but have seen them online (aluminum I think). That is why I asked about the order of installation. Should I install the threshold first, then they can cut the jambs and door accordingly? Also, exterior side of threshold will be tile over the slab, interior side of threshold will be engineered hardwood (over slab and moisture barrier). Are these floor coverings usually installled after the threshold and then butted up against it. Thanks for helping me get this in order. Pete

·
Registered
11,194 Posts
You want the door jambs off the concrete so water doesn't wick up the end grain.
I would install a sill tray on the concrete under the whole door. The tray would go up the rough opening side anout 6" and have an interior lip to keep water from running under the door to the interior.
I'd attach the aluminum sill to the bottom of the door frame and install it as a unit.
You would caulk the tray to the concrete and caulk the sill to the tray.

·
A door a day is all I ask
103 Posts
Hi there,
In your situation I would first go with earlier advice and install a sill pan
before you install the door jambs. Sealing the bottoms of the jambs is
good policy. I use a weather proof glue for that.

As far as order of installation goes, you can either attach a sloped aluminum
threshold to the bottom of your door jambs and basically create your own
prehung door unit or you can install door and jamb first and then cut the
threshold and sill cover between the thresholds.
I prefer the first of these two options because there is less opportunity
for water intrusion.

Either way you would need a door shoe with a vinyl sweep on it to create
the seal on top of threshold.

There are many profiles of thresholds to choose from.
Here is an online catalog that you can check out:
columbiaaluminumproductsllc .com/catalog/
http://www.columbiaaluminumproductsllcRemove the 2 spaces before .com to make link hot.

Pages 40, 47 and 48 are good places to start....You would
use the page 40 style if you are going to install threshold first.
Page 47 and 48 if you are going to install threshold after.

Interior finish floor will determine threshold height required.
Lot's of variables but that should at least get you started...

Good luck with the project!
RC/DG

1 - 5 of 5 Posts