DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this is a really simple question, someone tried breaking in through the front door and left a pretty decent crack in the frame... the door doesn't seal completely when closed

What is generally the best way to fix this? Wood glue and clamps?

·
Registered
4,831 Posts
The hard but good way is to remove the weather stripping, cut out the damaged section, rip a new piece to fit and glue / screw it to the existing jamb.

Reactions: dbubby

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The hard but good way is to remove the weather stripping, cut out the damaged section, rip a new piece to fit and glue / screw it to the existing jamb.

My skills are very limited... is this something a beginner could complete? Have you seen any YouTube tutorials for a repair like this? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,831 Posts
Limited skills and tools use the glue and clamp method mentioned above.

·
Registered
41 Posts
This is also my same answer you should use glue and clamps.

If glue and clamps is not effective then buy new lumber, then prepare paint, hammer, screwdriver and screws.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Glue and clamp it. You may want to install longer screws where the latch and deadbolt go into the door jam for added security if you have not done so already. I used 3.5 inch screws on mine so they bite all the way through the jam into the house framing.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
If you are going to glue and clamp, you could add in some trim screws to pull the joint together. They have a very small head with a square drive. I would pre drill a slightly smaller hole than the trim screw just to make sure it doesn't cause the wood to split.
Mike Hawkins:smile:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts