DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Samsung RF26XAEWP French door fridge with (non-op) icemaker. Bottom drawers get too cold, freezing food in them. Water (presumably condensation) pools on the bottom of the fridge section, forming a thin layer of ice. Fridge section is set to highest temperature.

Cause, and solution?

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
Your defrost drain is stopped up causing the water buildup.. you’ll have to remove the cover in the back of the refrigerator and remove the ice buildup and thaw out drain. As far as the refrigerator being too cold, sensor or board but I would take care of the water leak and ice first. If it’s frozen it will be hard to remove the back cover without damaging it. You’ll have to take your time. A hand steamer is a good asset for this

·
Registered
5,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bayou, is the cover you mention in the interior rear, or will the fridge need to be pulled out of its nook to access the exterior rear? Thanks!

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
Interior rear. You’ll have to remove all the racks. Should be a few Phillips screws at the bottom of the panel. Remove screws and pull out the panel. It’s a pita if it’s frozen you will have to have something to thaw it out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
Behind panel is all styrofoam. Between that and the plastic front a heat gun is a bad idea. Steamer is better. Hair dryer will take a long time but will work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
Yes that’s it. If the defrost drain is stopped up,you will need to thaw it out and clear it. If you take a piece of copper wire and wrap it around the heat element and place the other end in the drain it will prevent it from freezing up again. Like a ground wire in a piece of Romex. You don’t have to install a wire but it does keep it from happening again.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Huesmann, post up some pics with this disassembled if you get a chance. I have a Samsung reefer, too. Mine hasn't had this problem yet, but you never know...

·
Registered
5,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey raylo32, here are some pics of the disassembled fridge.

FWIW, we had a used stainless fridge we were going to replace this one (that came with the house) with. It had just been sitting in the garage. This icing issue provided the impetus for me to finally get around to doing the swap—just so many projects to do and so little time! The stainless fridge seller told me the ice maker worked, but the water dispenser didn't. However, when I plugged in the "new" fridge water line, both work! Although the water is a) real slow to fill a glass, and b) takes about 15-20 sec to begin filling. I don't care about water, though, just ice.

Anyway, back to the original fridge in question. The pic with the shelves in place shows the amount of ice there was. The pic of the back of the fridge shows the tiny little drain hole, that was covered in ice (I circled the hole in red). Instead of dripping down the hole, the condensate was just overflowing. This has clearly been going on a while—there's a lot of rust.

Also, the freezing caused the water in the water/ice dispenser tanks to freeze solid, and when that happened, they burst the tanks...you can see how much cracking there is in the housings. They'll need to be replaced if I sell this fridge.

Bayou, I found a couple of videos that showed what you were talking about with the copper wire...couldn't understand it before, but effectively the copper wire is used as a heat sink/extender, to extend warmth from the heating element down into the drain hole. I assume once the water gets down that drain hole, it's effectively gone—only the hole needs to be kept warm enough to prevent icing over?

I haven't yet cleaned out the drain tubing in the back of the fridge; wanted to give it some time to let all the ice melt.

GD it, this forum's picture posting system frustrates the hell out of me with rotated pics.

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts