DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My GE fridge is annoying me and makes a hum sound coming from the freezer.
It’s not even so loud as it is the annoying pitch of the fan. Like a low tone sound.

Read somewhere online it could be a motherboard? Am I wasting my time with this fix?

It’s model GTRSOKBZARSS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
JUSTA MEMBER
15,223 Posts
Locate the fan, and inspect it for anything on the blades themselves, or a damaged vane.

Dirt, debris, and bent broken blades will cause a HARMONIC vibration, that makes irritating sounds.

A motherboard? Sounds preposterous, it is silent electronics.

The worst it can do, is to change the speed of the fan, to a different pitch in acoustics.

ED

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Locate the fan, and inspect it for anything on the blades themselves, or a damaged vane.

Dirt, debris, and bent broken blades will cause a HARMONIC vibration, that makes irritating sounds.

A motherboard? Sounds preposterous, it is silent electronics.

The worst it can do, is to change the speed of the fan, to a different pitch in acoustics.

ED

How do o get this centre piece off the back?
I did the bolts around the edges but I assume this piece just snaps off?

Trying to push it up with a screwdriver
IMG_3049.jpg

·
Registered
628 Posts
Do you have an ice maker in the freezer? If so, when was the last time you removed all the ice from the bin? Also, clean under the frig. Could be dirt build up around a fan or air intake.

·
JUSTA MEMBER
15,223 Posts
How do o get this centre piece off the back?
I did the bolts around the edges but I assume this piece just snaps off?

Trying to push it up with a screwdriver
View attachment 558699

May have plastic keepers that snap in a slot, may lift up , may slide sideways.

Looks like all the screws are removed, so be gentle while trying to manipulate it, until you find the secret position.

ED

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
May have plastic keepers that snap in a slot, may lift up , may slide sideways.

Looks like all the screws are removed, so be gentle while trying to manipulate it, until you find the secret position.

ED

Cool got it. Turns out by pulling the fan forward on the shaft I was able to quiet it down! It’s a Panasonic fan. Not sure if it was a replacement. Considering a new fan. It’s good for now though.

·
JUSTA MEMBER
15,223 Posts
The clearance tolerances in those are very small sometimes, and if something is not exactly where it should be, it will hit the perimeter, and cause a noise.

The fan could have slipped a bit on it's shaft, from being moved from one home to another, or some places there is seismic activity that we cannot feel, but stationary objects will be moved by them anyway.

I'm glad that you got this resolved for now, and can get it taken care of again, if it happens.
I would wait on buying a new fan, until I knew definitely that it has started making noises again.

ED

·
Registered
7 Posts
The same proboblem! I had it fixed twice already, but it keeps making noise after a little while, so I obviously have to buy a new one

1 - 9 of 9 Posts