DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am at planning stage of my deck and watched enough videos on the subject. I just want to confirm few things and get some opinion about some issues before I actually start digging post holes.

I am planning deck at least 16 feet by 22 feet, can be little more or less depending on any structure issue that may arise.

Deck will not be attached to the house.

My question is: does it make any difference if beans are parallel (and hosts perpendicular) to the house? Or what is preferred practice?

Also I am planning joist to be 16 in on the centre. How many posts I need for above size of deck ?

I will post few more questions after I can get some advice on that.

Thanks.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks
That is what I had in my mind but was not sure if I am right.

For this size of deck, should I go for 4×4 posts or 6x6 ?

This weekend I am planning to actually mark the ground for posts in my backyard and confirm it with some expert here before I start digging.

Thanks for your help.

·
retired framer
55,716 Posts
Thanks
That is what I had in my mind but was not sure if I am right.

For this size of deck, should I go for 4×4 posts or 6x6 ?

This weekend I am planning to actually mark the ground for posts in my backyard and confirm it with some expert here before I start digging.

Thanks for your help.
4x4s are fence posts, use 6x6s, how high off the ground will you build this?
what is the frost depth where you are.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
4x4s are fence posts, use 6x6s, how high off the ground will you build this?
what is the frost depth where you are.
I am in Milton Ontario, not sure of frost level but I will dig at least 4 feet holes.
It's not more than 18 inch, or so, from ground.

·
retired framer
55,716 Posts
I am in Milton Ontario, not sure of frost level but I will dig at least 4 feet holes.
It's not more than 18 inch, or so, from ground.
That is really close to the ground.
How far from the building would that put the posts?
How old is the house?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That is really close to the ground.
How far from the building would that put the posts?
How old is the house?
House is 2 years old.
This is actually my first big question: how far from house should I put the post ?
What I have learnt so far is that I can put post 16 inches away from house to be on safer wide. I don't want to damage house foundation in any way. I think I can go about 2 feet away from house as you showed in your drawing.
What is your advice on that ?

·
retired framer
55,716 Posts
House is 2 years old.
This is actually my first big question: how far from house should I put the post ?
What I have learnt so far is that I can put post 16 inches away from house to be on safer wide. I don't want to damage house foundation in any way. I think I can go about 2 feet away from house as you showed in your drawing.
What is your advice on that ?
They did the hole for the house foundation 4 or 5 ft big all around so that is disturbed soil so you have to be at least as deep as the foundation of the house for the ones near the house.
You usually just have to google frost depth and the nearest city or town.
2 ft from the foundation will work the drain pipe is beside the footing so it will be right beside your new footing. Or close to it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
They did the hole for the house foundation 4 or 5 ft big all around so that is disturbed soil so you have to be at least as deep as the foundation of the house for the ones near the house.
You usually just have to google frost depth and the nearest city or town.
2 ft from the foundation will work the drain pipe is beside the footing so it will be right beside your new footing. Or close to it.
I read about this issue of disturbed soil. I had booked this house with the builder and have watched it being contracted. I just checked construction pictures and they had filled soil around the house in July 2018. ( I am living in the house for 2 years ). I think sold should have settled and compacted since July 2018 but still I will go deeper for homes closer to the house.

If it's 2 feet from the house, what size joists should I use for about 2 feet cantilever?

·
Registered
6,039 Posts
If it's 2 feet from the house, what size joists should I use for about 2 feet cantilever?
At 2' any size joist will work.
But how many posts are you planning to use?
Neals drawing should have 12" joists, for example.

·
retired framer
55,716 Posts
I read about this issue of disturbed soil. I had booked this house with the builder and have watched it being contracted. I just checked construction pictures and they had filled soil around the house in July 2018. ( I am living in the house for 2 years ). I think sold should have settled and compacted since July 2018 but still I will go deeper for homes closer to the house.

In some places soil 5 years is good in some places 10 years is needed but out here it would have to be checked by a geo tech engineer after the hole was dug and he would decide on footing size depending on soil type eve when we are at full depth.
You won't have room for more that 2x8 for joists and beams with 1" deck boards that 151/2" so you would set the beams in saddles in the concrete piers, so you will need them to be dead on level.

·
retired framer
55,716 Posts
At 2' any size joist will work.
But how many posts are you planning to use?
Neals drawing should have 12" joists, for example.
The span is 12 ft, I was thinking 2x10 but close to the ground 2x8 sounds more likely may need a third beam?

·
retired framer
55,716 Posts
Joist Spacing (o.c.) 12"16"24"
Species Size Allowable Span
Southern Pine 2x6 9'-11"9'-0" 7'-7"
2x8 13'-1" 11'-10" 9'-8"
2x10 16'-2" 14'-0"11'-5"
2x1218'-0" 16'-6"13'-6"
Douglas Fir-Larch,
Hem-Fir,
Spruce-Pine-Fir
2x69'-8" 8'-4"6'-10"
2x8 12'-8" 11'-1"9'-1"
2x10 15'-8" 13'-7"11'-1"
2x12 18'-0" 15'-9"12'-10"
Redwood,
Western Cedars,
Poderosa Pine, Red Pine
2x68'-10" 8'-0"6'-10"
2x8 11'-8" 10'-7"8'-8"
2x1014'-11" 13'-0" 10'-7"
2x12 17'-5" 15'-1"12'-4"
Deck Joist Sizing & Spacing | Decks.com | Decks.com by Trex

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
In some places soil 5 years is good in some places 10 years is needed but out here it would have to be checked by a geo tech engineer after the hole was dug and he would decide on footing size depending on soil type eve when we are at full depth.
You won't have room for more that 2x8 for joists and beams with 1" deck boards that 151/2" so you would set the beams in saddles in the concrete piers, so you will need them to be dead on level.
Ok.
Got it

1 - 15 of 15 Posts