DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day all! I am planning to build a 22'x24' cabin on my property in Michigan Upper Peninsula. I want to elevate the cabin 2 ft. off the ground. I am planning on using 6x6x12 post 8' long. Can anyone give me info on how to build a decking to support the cabin. Up to code helps.

·
Retired Moderator
25,768 Posts
Modern treated wood rots when buried---so concrete piers are now the normal method--with the posts sitting on top--held by galvanized fasteners--

Someone else will be along to help with cross beams ---a few more details would help.

Do you have a picture of a cabin similar to the one you wish to build?

Will this be inspected during construction?

·
Retired Moderator
25,768 Posts
Do you know the frost line depth?

Type of soil? Sand--loam--clay?

·
Registered
37,178 Posts
"build a decking to support the cabin?
The deck should not be supporting anything but the deck.
Build the cabin then build a free standing deck.
Your local code department would be my first stop to see what's required.
How can a 6 X 6 X 12 foot post be 8' long?
One thing that's an absilite is that decks going to have to be about 7' below any door openings because of snow. If not waters going to get in under the threshold.
Decking should not come in with contact with the siding for drainage.
6 X 6's need to be notched for the rim joist and through bolted not just attached to the outside of the post.
There is no real need for 6 X 6's that long to include the railings,
Any post used to support the deck need to be sitting of footings set below the frost line and sitting on post bases on top of the footings.

·
Civil Engineer
5,832 Posts
OPS, your post was really confusing, partly because of unusual grammar (build a decking), and partly because of unusual units (a 6x6x12 post 8 feet long) as mentioned by Joe. If you simply want to build a cabin that is two feet off the ground, that sounds pretty straightforward, you put in the posts on concrete like Mike suggested, and frame like you would a normal house or shed. A trip to the local building department will likely give you some good information on frost depth, minimum footing requirements, what code you are under, etc.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry for the confusion guys! I was deleting most of the post and didn't do a good job. I am building the cabin two foot off the ground using 6x6x12s. Didn't delete the 8' part. I was more curious on how to go about doing the joist and how to connect the beams (2x8x12). The soil type is sandy and frost line is 42".

·
Retired Moderator
25,768 Posts
I suggest a trip to the library--check out a few books on framing----the pictures will be helpful--and most have span charts for beams--girders--and floor joists---

·
Registered
5,842 Posts
First you must pick the design and the material you wish to use.
Here where I live we have old Army Post that have barracks that were built on wood and concrete, and still standing fine. In the beach areas we have modular homes that sit on pilings, a few of them I help set 30 years ago, and they still look fine.
In my opinion, if you go in this direction I would take full advantage of it.

https://images.search.yahoo.com/yhs/search;_ylt=A0LEVjf_BcNUrIoA.M4nnIlQ;_ylu=X3oDMTBsa3ZzMnBvBHNlYwNzYwRjb2xvA2JmMQR2dGlkAw--?_adv_prop=image&fr=yhs-mozilla-001&va=piling+designs+for+homes&hspart=mozilla&hsimp=yhs-001

1 - 8 of 8 Posts