DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently having a cabin built and i am using a general contractor. I wanted to see what some opinions were of the way he is framing interior walls. They just don’t look right to me compared to other framing i have seen.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Neal. I just have always seen 2x4s going straight to the ceiling with a top plate. I have never seen them use shorter sticks and make up the difference the way they did.

·
retired framer
38,862 Posts
Thanks Neal. I just have always seen 2x4s going straight to the ceiling with a top plate. I have never seen them use shorter sticks and make up the difference the way they did.
I have never built an exposed ceiling like that but I can see the problems they had. the walls going in the same direction as the beams should have been built full height but then they would have had to be sure of the beam lay out while they did it. So I understand adding to the walls but the top plate should be at the top of every wall. So that part I can not see a reason for leaving it out.

·
Registered
37,178 Posts
Everyone look at that third picture, see anything wrong with those headers over the doors holding up those beams?
Where's the support directly under the beam?
If I was doing it, it would have been one long header for all three openings, LVL's and doubled up jack studs.
They could have at least used full width lumber for the header, not cripples.

·
retired framer
38,862 Posts
Everyone look at that third picture, see anything wrong with those headers over the doors holding up those beams?
Where's the support directly under the beam?
If I was doing it, it would have been one long header for all three openings, LVL's and doubled up jack studs.
They could have at least used full width lumber for the header, not cripples.
Yeah, we put all headers at top of wall and block below, we never put headers in non bearing wall like they did,
The one piece header you mention, maybe not if you want room for plumbing, HVAC, or even wiring in some cases.:vs_whistle:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts