DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it better to stick frame roof or truss? Local framer says he can stick frame it cheaper and have alot of attic space above. What you guys think on this.

·
Framer
44 Posts
It all depend on what would charge you. I know out here in British Columbia engineered trusses are DIRT cheap.

You can still have lots of attic space with engineered trusses.. You just have to plan and get the design you want..

But really.. all in all, it all depends on how good your framer is.

Good luck,

Joey

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
As a DIY'er I have done both strusses and stick built. As a DIY'er I find trusses much easier, quicker, and to provide a great finished product (even, strong, square, etc.). For a pro framer, I would imagine stick building could be preferable due to thier level of expertise and desire to earn money in labor vs. materials. You can get attic space either way with proper design.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I would think it would depend a lot of the style of roof and the speed (or more importantly cost) they would stickframe it at vs. the cost of having trusses made and delivered.

if he says he can do it cheaper handcutting rafters then why not, all the old heritage houses (built very well) are all handcut roofs.

I see no problem with a stickframed roof, assuming they are good and do a quality job, and it is built properly for the span and loads.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts