DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks for the help. I'm in the middle of a basement renovation. The foundation underpinning is all done and now I have a floor to ceiling height of 8' 9". How should I go about framing this out? I could use 2x4x10 but I'd like to avoid that for cost reasons.

I'm thinking I could build a small "footer wall" for that 9" then just frame as normal on top, or build that same size as a header and frame as normal using 2x4x8.

Are both acceptable? Any other ideas?

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,975 Posts
Not sure if they are available where you live, but my lumber yard stocks stud lengths for 9 ft walls.
They are 104 5/8 inches in length which would provide enough length and be precision end trimmed.
If you get 10 footers, they are not cut precisely at 90 degree ends, so you might have to cut them square at each end before using them for studs.

·
Registered
7,871 Posts
I think building a small footer wall will cost you more in material, fasteners and time in prep and tying two walls together. Won't be just the lumber. It's also sheetrock, insulation, etc. I'm not sure about this, but you may have to blocks in the mid wall for fire block.

·
Registered
37,460 Posts
That just makes no since.
Pored slab floors are never flat.
All the studs will need to be cut to length to get a tight fit with no shimming.
Buying block, mortar, concrete to fill some of the voids, foundation bolts.
Big difference when framing a basement and an above ground wall.
The difference in price between a 2 X 4 X 8 and a 10 has to be about $20.00 a wall or less.
Go to a real sheetrock supply for the sheetrock.
There going to have wider sheetrock so your not dealing with a narrow seam.

Reactions: woodworkbykirk
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.