DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Just looking for some advice from the resident framing gurus. My basement has superior walls but the corners are without corner studs. Does anyone have a detailed guide and/or pictures of how to frame these?

Thanks!

Jason

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
Drywall supply place - corner clips.
If you're not planning on dry-walling - why care?
If you're planning on dry wall - might want to do something about the
water line/s.
RF

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
Hi all,

Just looking for some advice from the resident framing gurus. My basement has superior walls but the corners are without corner studs. Does anyone have a detailed guide and/or pictures of how to frame these?

Thanks!

Jason
No corner studs? Doesn't sound so "superior" to me. How close are the nearest studs to the corners? Do the plates run all the way to the corners? Is the bottom plate pressure treated? A picture would be nice. Or, as others have advised, pick up a book on framing.

Are these superior walls touching the basement walls? If so, that's wrong and they'll all have to come down.

·
185 Posts
Drywall supply place - corner clips.
If you're not planning on dry-walling - why care?
If you're planning on dry wall - might want to do something about the
water line/s.
RF
Drywall stop/clips are great but the only thing is you would still need at least one stud in the corner to attach the clips to

Avoid ordering clips and install two new corner studs.

Be careful with the water main ... have it shut off on the street before you start playing with it

Attachments

·
KemoSabe
644 Posts
No corner studs? Doesn't sound so "superior" to me. How close are the nearest studs to the corners? Do the plates run all the way to the corners? Is the bottom plate pressure treated? A picture would be nice. Or, as others have advised, pick up a book on framing.

Are these superior walls touching the basement walls? If so, that's wrong and they'll all have to come down.
The Superior Walls are the basement walls.

They are precast and set over crushed stone in most cases, with no footings.

The sections bolt together and are joined with some type of sealant.

They are set up exactly as they are in those pictures, pre-insulated, wire chases through the studs and the metal stud has tabs embedded into concrete in the vertical strut in the wall.

http://www.superiorwalls.com/

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The Superior Walls are the basement walls.

They are precast and set over crushed stone in most cases, with no footings.

The sections bolt together and are joined with some type of sealant.

They are set up exactly as they are in those pictures, pre-insulated, wire chases through the studs and the metal stud has tabs embedded into concrete in the vertical strut in the wall.

http://www.superiorwalls.com/
I don't have the required 20 posts to send a PM to you so can you shoot me a PM. I'd like to pick your Framing brain.

thx,

Jason

·
Registered
301 Posts

holy ****

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
I didn't think you where allowed to let XPS foam board like that just out in the open? thought code said it had to be enclosed by drywall or some fireproofing material?

·
Old School
3,634 Posts
Geez, Riz, I didn't think that was you when I saw only 258 posts.

Reactions: loneframer

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hey Jason.

Most framers/drywallers frame up an interior corner in Superior Walls foundations using pressure-treated 2x4s. There is a detail in the Tech Resources section of the Superior Walls website (http://www.superiorwalls.com/tech_center/?p=117). Hope this helps!

-David
This was a huge help! Exactly the type of drawing/detail I was looking for. I did notice the drawings showed that the bottom of the corner framing should be attached with construction adhesive. Any advice on which kind to use?

Also, how do I attach the the top of the framing to the wall?

sorry for all the questions and thank you all for the helpful advice!

Jason

·
Registered
2 Posts
'Liquid Nails Heavy Duty Construction Adhesive', or other similar product, would work well.

The top of the framing could be attached in similar way to the top of the Superior Walls panel. Depending on the application (probably not needed for a corner blocking application), I would also possibly use a single Tap-Con type of screw to help secure the flat 2x4 to the concrete (positioning it toward the center of the thickness of the wall to avoid contact with the rebar reinforcement).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts