DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any recommendations for site(s) with thorough framing details?

Putting up new garage and find myself second guessing alot as I get into things.

Walls are about done and I'm getting ready to hoist trusses.

32' with 6/12 pitch 2' heel so I can get a 14' wide by 7' high room upstairs. 2 x 10 floor joist

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
Any big box store (Lowes, Home Depot) sells books on framing, plumbing, wiring, etc. I think the one I bought was less than $20. But on the other hand, if you're ready to set the trusses, I'd think your framing is pretty much done.

·
Framing Contractor
1,512 Posts
Any big box store (Lowes, Home Depot) sells books on framing, plumbing, wiring, etc. I think the one I bought was less than $20. But on the other hand, if you're ready to set the trusses, I'd think your framing is pretty much done.
He is not even half done. For a DIY'er, installing the roofing system can be daunting. Those are some decent sized trusses. I hope you have a lot of help, or are using heavy equipment to set them up there. Make sure to use a lot of braces and take your time. Make sure the walls are braced securely, as dragging trusses around will surely test the bracing. If possible, set up some aluminum staging to help with the install.

·
Framing Contractor
1,758 Posts
Any recommendations for site(s) with thorough framing details?

Putting up new garage and find myself second guessing alot as I get into things.

Walls are about done and I'm getting ready to hoist trusses.

32' with 6/12 pitch 2' heel so I can get a 14' wide by 7' high room upstairs. 2 x 10 floor joist
What framing details are you looking for? How to install 32' trusses?

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
setting trusses just like gettin old, not for faint of heart or those not payin attention

·
Registered
162 Posts
Here's some helpful tips for you to use. Assuming you are using premade trusses and installing them on 24"centers. You'll need to lay out both sides of the load bearing wall with marks where every truss will lay. If you have a mitre saw or radial arm, cut 2x4 blocks at 22 1/2" long EXACTLY. You'll use these blocks to establish the rough spacing and it adds to the rack control. Install the first truss. Nail a block down tight against it on the plate. Now you have the spacing ready for the next truss. Makes it a lot easier to put trusses down. You'll need one at the top and one in the middle of the top chord. Once you have 5 trusses set, install your rack control by bracing the end truss at a 45 degree angle. Install struts at a 45 degree angle. Continue installing trusses. We call this method squash blocking and is an accepted practice by PEs. If your trusses are on 16" centers, cut the blocks to 14 1/2". The advantages of this method are it properly spaces the trusses and requires fewer people to do in less time. Preparation is everything when installing trusses. You can also make a jig of sorts for working the ridge. Take a 2x4 about 8ft long and attach one of the blocks about 4" from one end. Using 3" screws, attach the jig to the last installed truss, run the next truss against the block on the jig, screw it to hold it in place and install the permanent spacer block. Unscrew it and do it again.

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
He is not even half done. For a DIY'er, installing the roofing system can be daunting. Those are some decent sized trusses. I hope you have a lot of help, or are using heavy equipment to set them up there. Make sure to use a lot of braces and take your time. Make sure the walls are braced securely, as dragging trusses around will surely test the bracing. If possible, set up some aluminum staging to help with the install.
A crane would certainly be helpful. I've set trusses, but never that big. Also not a one-person job.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts