DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm framing my basement and intend to finish with drywall. I've framed around the I beam and other supports. Problem: The frame around the main duct, wiring, and central vacuum tube requires a span of 55 inches. For much of that area, I cannot reach through to provide support from the joists. How can I frame this with such a span so that it will have the strength and stability to support drywall? I prefer to avoid the use of a pier if possible.

Thanks

·
11,730 Posts
Using 2x4's, the UBC ceiling joists span at 24"o.c. = 7'10" Just secure the ends to other ledgers that are attached to the ceiling securely. If concrete walls present, read this before insulating:

http://www.buildingscience.com/docu...rol-for-new-residential-buildings?full_view=1 Remember your egress (escape) windows required for basements and bedrooms. I'm sure it's on your permit from the plans you submitted for your safety. Be safe, G

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.