DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to build a partition wall that goes from floor to rafter. There are collar ties. So, two questions:
1. Should I attach the wall studs to the collar ties or the rafters themselves? If I attach them to the rafters, should I cut a notch out of the studs to go around the ties?
2. When installing a ceiling, is there any problem with attaching it to the collar ties?

Thank you!

·
Registered
13,788 Posts
Sounds like you are finishing off an attic space, many threads here about some of the issues.

If a sloped roof will be part of your ceiling then now would be an opportunity to increase the depth to allow for adequate insulation and ventilation. Of course your climate region is part of that decision.

The long list of considerations include egress, heat and electric and related permits, load capacity of floor, and allowable use per your town building department.

Not passing judgement just that now is the right time to review everything.

Bud

·
Contractor/Engineer
2,428 Posts
If you want to leave the collar ties exposed and box them for visual appeal then go up to the rafters.

Depending on the height of the ties, I'd probably frame wall section with double top plates so they'd fit under the ties, stand them up and have the entire wall done pretty easily -from that point it would be add joists spanning across the top plates, insulate and sheetrock... The collar ties would (pretty much if they are level) define the new ceiling height.

Again - it depends on what height you have and if you want all the detail work to box the ties. I would NOT advise removing the ties.

If Nealtw posts - he's probably seen the task a million times...listen well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.