DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello, I am looking for some advice for my next basement framing project. The Basement is partially exposed and has a diagonal foundation wall which I would like to frame around. Image is below for reference.

I am not a fan of the half cement half drywall wall (Hard to hide the pipes, hide wires, and mount a tv etc). My plan is to install standard framing ( IE. ridged board attached to the cement, 2x4s that go from floor to ceiling, and insulation in the studs, drywall in front) in front of the entire wall . What I am not sure is what to do with the existing drywall portion. What do I need to do so that putting studs with insulation in front of it would this cause moisture problems down the line?

Thanks in advance fo the advice.

·
Naildriver
18,641 Posts
Build a wall out from the existing brick and whatever the slanted stuff is, sufficient enough to hide the pipes, run your electrical, insulate it with Roxul and put on a covering, such as sheetrock or bead planks. I would not attach anything to the otherwise non leaking wall. Making a separate free standing wall would work better.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks for the response.

There is about a foot between the duct work and the wall. Plenty of room to get new wall studs up from the floor to the joists.

For clarity, this is a externally faceing basement wall. It is bricked stamped poured cement.

My understanding is because it is an externally facing wall I need to add Rigid insulation between cement and the new wall I plan on building ( Something like this picture shown here).

My question is should I do anything special with the existing drywall. If I insulate the cement with the ridgid insulation and build a wall in front of it with the rulux insulation and drywall, will I have mold/moisture problems down the road on that existing drywall?

·
Registered
3,288 Posts
If there is insulation behind the drywall, I would simply remove the drywall on that portion of the wall. Since it looks like your rim is already insulated, I would assume the wall is too. Add a drywall lid to the ceiling, top out around the ductwork as best as you can. Then 2" of foam against the exterior wall, airseal all seams and edges. Then frame up your wall.

We had a post a while back from a contractor whose inspector dinged him for building a 2nd wall in front of an insulated and drywalled wall.

If I recall, the inspector dropped it in the end.

·
Naildriver
18,641 Posts
I couldn't tell if it was sheetrock or a monolith. Since it has been stated that it is sheetrock, I agree with Brant, remove the sheetrock and just "extend" the wall and insulation to the new point, making the wall flat.

·
retired framer
63,464 Posts
Thanks again for the responses. I will remove the old drywall.
When you build the new wall, the top plate wants to be wider so there is no gap at the top. It can be plywood as long as it is up against the top plate of the old wall and sill on top of the foundation. ( fire stop)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
When you build the new wall, the top plate wants to be wider so there is no gap at the top. It can be plywood as long as it is up against the top plate of the old wall and sill on top of the foundation. ( fire stop)
Thanks for mentioning that. It did not occur to me that I would need to do that, but it makes sense since I am making that portion of the wall a bit wider.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.