DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I removed our old (darn near antique) toilet today which had 4 bolts holding it down, and am installing a new toilet with just 2. I know the back two attach to the flange but what did the front two attach to? They are so rusted that they broke off and I cannot see how they attach because of all the rust. A new sheet floor is going down over the top so I'm tempted just to break them off, how could/should they be removed? ....i've tried vice grips, its just breaks off more rust!

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I removed our old (darn near antique) toilet today which had 4 bolts holding it down, and am installing a new toilet with just 2. I know the back two attach to the flange but what did the front two attach to? They are so rusted that they broke off and I cannot see how they attach because of all the rust. A new sheet floor is going down over the top so I'm tempted just to break them off, how could/should they be removed? ....i've tried vice grips, its just breaks off more rust!
Here's a picture.

Attachments

·
GC/Master Plumber/Mech
1,517 Posts
Just use the two bolts "Closet bolts" and you should be fine as long as the flange is properly secure.

·
GC/Master Plumber/Mech
1,517 Posts
If they are screw in unscrew them if they are concreted in cut them off flush with the floor

·
Registered
8 Posts
The older toilets like that used the 2 T-bolts on the flange PLUS 2 screws or lag bolts that are just into the flooring. New water closets just use the T-bolts. You can just cut the old screws off at the floor if you can back them out or if they broke off ( as they often do). Hopefully the new toilet covers the old screws. Dont forget the new wax seal and water supply tube!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.