DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all great site here! Been reading for a few weeks but I'm a first time poster.

I found this shed at a local store and it seems solid. I've seen these Resin sheds in stores before and they seemed flimsy and cheap but this on appears to be well built. My only concern with the unit is the sky lights and potential for leaks. http://www.amazon.com/Brighton-Outd...3?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1206972190&sr=8-3

Back on subject: What would you recommend for a basic foundation for this? I was originally planning on digging and laying #67 stone and some large stone or concrete pavers on top of them. After talking with a few people I was told that the crushed stone itself would be suffice. Similar to this: http://www.gardensheds.com/images/building_foundation/foundation_full.jpg

Is it that simple? Can I just dig, frame, lay stone, level and compact and build on top of that. If so how depth(inches): 3? 4?

Thanks in Advance.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not sure. Lifetime website mentions "High-Density Polyethylene Floor Included Slip Resistant Surface with Beveled Edge Resistant to Oil, Solvents and Stains Does Not Crack, Chip or Peel" I'm not certain if there is anything underneath that or not.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I bought the shed last night. The manual calls for 2 options: -2x4 PT ladder base w/ 16" centers and 3/4 ACX top. -2x4 PT frame filled w/ 'Pea' gravel I'm trying to avoid the plywood top. Would there be any benefit to building the 2x4 ladder base and fill the voids w/ this 'Pea' gravel ? Thanks again for all the help.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok I've been convinced. I will build the 2x4 ladder frame base w/ PT wood. Top it w/ 3/4 T&G CDX. My concern now is can I just build this base on the ground or do I need to dig and set a layer of stove first. I'm most concerned w/ the wood lying directly on the ground and the potential for pooling. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
More questions!! I just went to the Home Depot to scope out wood. I did some research before hand and read that for outdoor jobs OSB > CDX.

HD has 5/8 T&G OSB for $11.50 sheet which I can live with. Then I priced out the 2x4 PT base and going to 2x6's would only be $20 more.

Is there any benefit to using 2x6 instead of 2x4s?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.