DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

So I have finally finished waterproofing my foundation wall (used MasterSeal HLM 5000 its about 4ft below grade). I am going to be adding 2" XPS and then miradrain drainage mat to the outside of that. This leads me to the drain tile and footer. I am planning on running the water to a drywell in the future eventually.

Trying to figure out what filter fabric to use. I have 4" sch 40 pipe and planned on 3/4 crushed gravel to bury the pipe wrapped by filter fabric. Might also add a filter sock as an extra layer of protection.

Any recommendations on which filter fabric to use?

Also anyone have any photos of drain tiles showing clean outs? I was thinking adding a few sweeps that come up so I could clean out down the road.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,729 Posts
we always add cleanouts on standpipes terminating at grade,,, we dig trench alongside foundation - ours are 12" wide - @ btm of footer,,, discharge is either gravity or pump,,, external pump requires separate elec circuit

line trench w/soil filter fabric but IXNAY w/socks

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
First illustration of a properly laid drain system i've seen in a long time, follow it to a tee and you should never need to clean it in your lifetime, most always you will see stone, where the gravel is.

·
Registered
6,729 Posts
agree, woody - good illustration,,, we use ONLY clean #57 stone, not gravel, & that's taken from the top of the pile where its the cleanest,,, far's inspection ports, these systems are low maintenance, not NO maintenance,,, installing access ports now's much less expensive than digging later on should pipe camera access be needed,,, or so it seems to me

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have been looking for pictures of people who have installed drainage tile and clean outs, but now much in the web. From all my reading it's cheap insurance.

So here's probably a silly question. My foundation is 4 feet underground. I will probably have to build a dry well. Thinking a 10x10 square filled with 3/4 gravel, now thinking logically my pit will have to be below my foundation for gravity to work right? Told you it was silly.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

·
retired framer
38,783 Posts
I have been looking for pictures of people who have installed drainage tile and clean outs, but now much in the web. From all my reading it's cheap insurance.

So here's probably a silly question. My foundation is 4 feet underground. I will probably have to build a dry well. Thinking a 10x10 square filled with 3/4 gravel, now thinking logically my pit will have to be below my foundation for gravity to work right? Told you it was silly.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk
If you can get far enough away from the house you could pump to a dry well that i not that deep.

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
agree, woody - good illustration,,, we use ONLY clean #57 stone, not gravel, & that's taken from the top of the pile where its the cleanest,,, far's inspection ports, these systems are low maintenance, not NO maintenance,,, installing access ports now's much less expensive than digging later on should pipe camera access be needed,,, or so it seems to me

I agree inspection ports are cheap insurance, might never be needed but you never know either, i had them put in my sewer line from the house because it sits back quite a way from the street.

Stone is okay if you must use it, i prefer gravel as the filter element, no matter how clean you think stone is, there are always minute fines and when it washes down into the pipe it settles there, thats where the build up starts.

·
Concrete & Masonry
3,794 Posts
I agree inspection ports are cheap insurance, might never be needed but you never know either, i had them put in my sewer line from the house because it sits back quite a way from the street.

Stone is okay if you must use it, i prefer gravel as the filter element, no matter how clean you think stone is, there are always minute fines and when it washes down into the pipe it settles there, thats where the build up starts.
I think this may be simple semantics, but what staydry is referring to as #57 is what we would call #1 washed stone here. What are you calling gravel, because here the term "gravel" would be stone mixed with fines all the way down to sand, which would surely leave sediment in the drain tile?

·
Concrete & Masonry
3,794 Posts
Hi all,

Trying to figure out what filter fabric to use. I have 4" sch 40 pipe and planned on 3/4 crushed gravel to bury the pipe wrapped by filter fabric. Might also add a filter sock as an extra layer of protection.
Are you sure it's sch 40 pipe? I don't think I've ever seen it with weep holes for drainage, only sch 35, which is generally used in leech/septic fields.

Socks are meant for your feet in Winter, and have no place on drain tile IMPO. If you use a decent filter fabric and install it correctly, the sock will due nothing but slow the water flow down.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Are you sure it's sch 40 pipe? I don't think I've ever seen it with weep holes for drainage, only sch 35, which is generally used in leech/septic fields.

Socks are meant for your feet in Winter, and have no place on drain tile IMPO. If you use a decent filter fabric and install it correctly, the sock will due nothing but slow the water flow down.
I have to drill holes in the pipe. Currently it has no weep holes in it and it's solid.

·
Registered
5,975 Posts
Size and depth of the Dry well would depend on the results of your Perc test which is a function of the soils underlying the property.

Reactions: stadry

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
I think this may be simple semantics, but what staydry is referring to as #57 is what we would call #1 washed stone here. What are you calling gravel, because here the term "gravel" would be stone mixed with fines all the way down to sand, which would surely leave sediment in the drain tile?

Your right about the meaning of things at times being misinterpreted, but i did mean gravel not stone, but it is glacier washed gravel some of the cleanest coarse aggregate anywhere in the midwest, but still containing a certain amount of sediment, as all washed aggregates have.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts