DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a full unfinished basement that has 1 window. I would like to make the basement a walkout but am uncertain if this is even possible.

I do not want to change the window into a door. I want to cut out a doorway from the foundation; is that possible? If so, what type of credentials should the person have to cut the concrete foundation?

·
Retired Moderator
25,768 Posts
The concrete cutting is usually performed ,oddly enough,by a 'concrete cutter' look in the yellow pages.

A concrete contractor is the best choice of trades to call in to engineer and perform the work (they will know how to get the plans done and approved). They will address drainage and retaining walls--sidewalks or stairs..

If you wish to DIY this you will still need plans (drainage --header to hold up the house--grading--)
And the services of a concrete cutter.----Mike---

·
Registered
6,729 Posts
we cut many of those over the years using a bolt-on-to-the-wall diamond saw (hydraulic, elec, or air ) & even using a demo saw fitted w/24" diamond blades. not sure we were ever aqsked for 'credentials' but we always had to submit copies of our insurances - even to hrh, genl contractor, when we enlarged the windows on trump's plaza hotel,,, any competent cutting contractor can do the work.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts