DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Learning by Doing
3,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

That's right - chickens. I caught my five hens fighting over a mole carcass this weekend.

While it was totally gross, it was also totally cool. :laughing:

·
just a tool guy
255 Posts
Well, I've read that they are the closest living relative to T. rex...I really not surprised. We used 'em for tick control in Tennessee. Eggs were just an added benefit.

·
Learning by Doing
3,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I've read that they are the closest living relative to T. rex...I really not surprised. We used 'em for tick control in Tennessee. Eggs were just an added benefit.
Yeah, I don't even like eggs. :laughing: But I never get over looking out my window and thinking "Hey, there are chickens in our yard." :laughing:

A few days ago I watched one of the hens (who's well over 7 lbs) fight a robin for a moth. I've also seen my 65lb lab mix back down from a fight with the head-chicken-in-charge.

·
You talking to me?
7,551 Posts
saw my neighbor use a shovel to whack the head off of a rooster that spurred her:eek:

hey, the moles will go away if you get rid of the grubs. (saw on the other thread about grub abatement). unless they are crossing your yard to go to the neighbors on either side to get their grubs,

and you don't like eggs? at all or just as the main dish. I mean cakes and pancakes and batters and all have eggs in them.

I don't know though. I really like western (or denver, depending where you are) omelets.

I've hear the tick thing before but the last time we tried that, one of 'em pecked my brother right in the eye trying to get a tick. Figured it was easier to just deal with them ourselves. and laying on the ground long enough for the chickens to nab the ticks was a pain in the butt too.

·
Learning by Doing
3,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
saw my neighbor use a shovel to whack the head off of a rooster that spurred her:eek:

hey, the moles will go away if you get rid of the grubs. (saw on the other thread about grub abatement). unless they are crossing your yard to go to the neighbors on either side to get their grubs,

and you don't like eggs? at all or just as the main dish. I mean cakes and pancakes and batters and all have eggs in them.

I don't know though. I really like western (or denver, depending where you are) omelets.

I've hear the tick thing before but the last time we tried that, one of 'em pecked my brother right in the eye trying to get a tick. Figured it was easier to just deal with them ourselves. and laying on the ground long enough for the chickens to nab the ticks was a pain in the butt too.
:laughing::laughing:

Cakes and batter = whatever. Cooked egg = I just don't like the flavor.

We definitely have less ticks and fleas in the yard since we got the hens. No rooster.

·
Registered
32 Posts
That's awesome! And disgusting. I wonder if eating mole meat affects the flavor of the eggs?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts