DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all ,

Anybody help just bought a house and currently on with rewiring it ,

In the loft today and found a cable that runs through to next doors house it's an armoured cable and goes to a silver box didn't want to undo the box incase it was live ?

Anybody heard of this before or have an idea what it may be

Here is a picture of the box

The main supply to the house comes through the wall at the top of the stairs to the fuse box so can't be the main power supply ..

Only other thing I can think is its an old main power supply ?

Attachments

· Registered
122 Posts
Hi all ,

Anybody help just bought a house and currently on with rewiring it ,

In the loft today and found a cable that runs through to next doors house it's an armoured cable and goes to a silver box didn't want to undo the box incase it was live ?

Anybody heard of this before or have an idea what it may be

Here is a picture of the box

The main supply to the house comes through the wall at the top of the stairs to the fuse box so can't be the main power supply ..

Only other thing I can think is its an old main power supply ?
Could it be communication or catv since it goes to the neighbors too?

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hi, maybe it is my eyes, but I don't see an armored cable. I see old romex and an orange extension cord.

Is this a duplex or a condo? I assume it is not a single family house.

bernie
Hi,

Its the wires going to the silver box ignore the orange cable thats my extension for the light up there :)

Phoned the electric board earlier, They sent an engineer out 1 hour later he has been out and told me it is an old power supply cable , They used to come in overhead and run through loft in peoples houses,

He said it is dead and i can just chop it and remove it

Happy days

· Registered
1,016 Posts
remember to have a tester to be sure its not live. just cause someone says its dead, does not mean its dead.

I remember once, working at a cold storage, one of the guys was told to cut this line down, not to worry, its old and abandoned refrig line of some sort... well it was a line of some sort, but not refrig, natural gas.

luckily when it started spewing gas he stopped right away, and they were able to find a main shut off shortly.

· Registered
122 Posts
I don't trust anyone saying something is dead. I always take out my meter and check.
A LOT of dead people and or burned bodies left behind that "It's dead" statement and the ensuing cut.......

Never Never Never assume it's dead without a meter. wear glasses and gloves when you do cut it, just in case. Assuming of course that there is a reason TO cut it.

· Registered
1,016 Posts
even better yet, in addition to testing for live yourself, if you can trace wire back to both ends and start removing from the ends.

when I had knob and tube in my old house, when replacing, I went ahead and removed everything I could see from the junction box on ( that's where my K&T started) for peace of mind for me and any future owner.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.