DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I'm having trouble reading this data safety sheet for some MDF wood paneling I just purchased. Does it seem like these boards do a fair bit of off gassing? Which numbers are related to the ppm that the boards off gas?

Attachments

·
Registered
9,274 Posts
None of the numbers tell you how much the MDF is offgassing.
Those are the the exposure limits for formaldehyde (and wood dust) as set by ACGIH and OSHA.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Interesting, thanks. Since the products are certified under CARB 2 regulations, can I conclude that the off gassing would be minimal.

I'm asking because there is a strong "saw dust" type smell for these panels. I'm planning on installing them over my bed and I dont want to poison myself!

·
Usually Confused
6,534 Posts
Assuming you're going to paint or otherwise seal it, I would think most of the off gassing will occur on the opposite (framing) side. There are several websites that discuss this topic and apparently formaldehyde-free MDF is available.

·
Registered
17,187 Posts
Hello,

I'm having trouble reading this data safety sheet for some MDF wood paneling I just purchased. Does it seem like these boards do a fair bit of off gassing? Which numbers are related to the ppm that the boards off gas?
What's the name of the paneling besides Uniboard?

·
Registered
6,235 Posts
If the smell is too much, I would at least store them flat away from the living area and keep checking the air for the smell. Or if you live in warm region so you can use a window fan to ventilate the room. Also to use low voc adhesives.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts