DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Earilier I asked about plans for building a miter saw stand and PaliBob gave me some help on estimating plywood. He also reminded me to consider the saw's kerf when I made my cuts.

I decided not to make the more portable stand, which sat on sawhorses, and build a cabinet style that sits on casters. My questioni is if I am reading the plans correctly. They are at http://www.popularwoodworking.com/upload/contents/290/fea39.pdf

If you want to see the stand and article on building it look here. http://www.popularwoodworking.com/article/Ultimate_Miter_Saw_Stand/

Do I simply get my dimensions from the schedule and set my saw so as to make sure that I cut to those dimensions, after allowing for the kerf? To be careful, I plan on drawing all my cut lines on the wood before cutting.

Thanks

·
Retired Moderator
25,769 Posts
Hello again,A word or two on building cabinets--
It's 2 parts Art and 1 part science------------------------

DO NOT CUT THE WHOLE PROJECT FIRST----

Cut and build one assembly at a time--Mistakes will be made along the way--
Make one assembly--check the measurements of what you have built--Then make adjustments on the next step.

I've seen to many unfinished projects because some minor change of dementions rendered the rest of the 'precut' pieces useless.

Remember-Cut,assemble--Measure--Cut,assemble--Measure--This also allows you to make design improvements as you go.

Good luck,Have fun----MIKE--------

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Mike.

I am going to get the wood, now. Almost got it last night. fortunatly, the guy at Lowes suggested I look at some other plans first. Meanwhile, I learned that I was reading the cut sheet wrong and would have had Lowes make the initial cut, needed to get the material in my car, at the wrong place. I will measure, measure again, cut and remeasure as I go. Thanks again.

·
Retired Moderator
25,769 Posts
You are welcome,as always.-MIKE-

1 - 4 of 4 Posts