DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I just came across another possibility -- fence bracket. Cheapest option yet, $2.78 at Lowes.
Less convenient because I'd have to unscrew the nuts to remove the rail, and it might not lie quite as flat as the bed brackets, but maybe worth considering.
Wood Nickel Metal Cylinder Gas

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
If you think about it, the upper bed rail bracket will take all the load, the length of the removable board is mostly to keep the assembly from rotating downward under load. You could probably omit the lower rail bracket and just shim it plumb.

·
Contractor/Engineer
1,628 Posts
Unstable handrails will kill your grandparents... {you get the idea}.

Most handrails are connected to studs at two locations. Those locations usually have three screws holding the handrail bracket.

I'm not sure how often you need "full width" in the stairway - but I'd guess a screwdriver and removal of the six screws could be the easiest, non-engineered/contrived, answer? If you're making large cabinetry in the basement and carrying them upstairs, thus needing the width, I'd bet you own an impact driver and could have the handrail off in about five minutes.

Reactions: SPS-1 and Steve2444

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
Domo … problem with removing the screws (other than forgetting where you put them) is that after about the 3rd cycle the holes in the stud will start to get sloppy.

·
Registered
8,777 Posts
One could mount a 1/4" steel plate into the stud, with 3 tapped holes in it. The steel won't get sloppy.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts