DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to put a handrail for my basement stairs. However it's a narrow passage and I occasionally need the full width to carry things up/down.
Brown Wood Rectangle Wood stain Shade
I can think of three options but not how to implement any:
1. The rail is attached to brackets of some sort that are hinged, so the whole railing swings up or down flat against the wall.
2. The rail is removable and the brackets are hinges that swing up or down flat against the wall.
3. The brackets are attached to a plate of some sort that permits the rail and brackets to be easily removed (leaving the mounting plate flat against the wall).

Of course I could install a regular rail and unscrew it as needed, but I'd like it more convenient.

Internet searches didn't show anything like what I'm seeking. Any suggestions? Thanks.

·
Registered
Building my last home
1,161 Posts
I have never seen a movable hand rail like what you describe. I always thought that hand rails were required on any stair case by the building code in a residence.

·
Registered
appliances
2,332 Posts
A 1/2" thk wall mounted bracket with a vertical U shaped hole or slot
that allows a mating piece mounted to the railing
to slide vertically downward,
the mating then resisting vertical and horizontal forces.

You may need lubricant to prevent binding when you lower the railing onto these steel fasteners.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have never seen a movable hand rail like what you describe. I always thought that hand rails were required on any stair case by the building code in a residence.
I don't know what the code here says now, but the house was built in 1960 so it probably wasn't required then.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A 1/2" thk wall mounted bracket with a vertical U shaped hole or slot
that allows a mating piece mounted to the railing
to slide vertically downward,
the mating then resisting vertical and horizontal forces.

You may need lubricant to prevent binding when you lower the railing onto these steel fasteners.
I think I know what you're describing, but I couldn't find anything like that when I tried a few Google searches -- thousands of brackets but none I saw that fit the need. Can you recommend what I should call it in a search?

·
Registered
237 Posts
That's a great idea but there's one problem: the studs are right behind the 1/4" paneling so I'd have to cut into them. Probably not wise.
Y/W it popped into my head as a thought, I don't know anything about recessed handrails other than what I looked up btw.
It depends if that is a bearing wall or not, I would assume it's not.
And what is on the other side of the wall (in the basement) finished or not.
If it's not bearing, and unfinished, perhaps a second wall of studs behind that wall and attached to it?
Then the existing wall could be cut?

Just shooting from the hip here with thoughts.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Y/W it popped into my head as a thought, I don't know anything about recessed handrails other than what I looked up btw.
It depends if that is a bearing wall or not, I would assume it's not.
And what is on the other side of the wall (in the basement) finished or not.
If it's not bearing, and unfinished, perhaps a second wall of studs behind that wall and attached to it?
Then the existing wall could be cut?

Just shooting from the hip here with thoughts.
That wall abuts the stairs going up to the next level (not visible in the photo). I think the studs are load-bearing for the stairs, and in any case that area isn't easily accessible.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
That just might do it. I'd have to figure out the best way to attach the railing to the removable piece but that should be doable. It's definitely worth pursuing.

I see that your link goes to Amazon Canada, so I checked and Amazon U.S. has the same kinds of brackets, including this one that appears to have tighten-able retaining screws for an even safe attachment:

·
Registered
3,702 Posts
Screw one half of the bedrail fastener to the studs. I would possibly attach to every stud on the stairs. Attach the other half to a scrap of wood, and attach the standard handrail & brackets. I’m not sure what size the removable stud should be. I want to say a scrap of 2x4 but thats a bit thick. Maybe a piece of good 3/4 ply would work. I would space the brackets about 12” vertically to provide a lot of moment resistance.

Just a thought. YMMV.

Handwriting Rectangle Font Slope Parallel

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Screw one half of the bedrail fastener to the studs. I would possibly attach to every stud on the stairs. Attach the other half to a scrap of wood, and attach the standard handrail & brackets. I’m not sure what size the removable stud should be. I want to say a scrap of 2x4 but thats a bit thick. Maybe a piece of good 3/4 ply would work. I would space the brackets about 12” vertically to provide a lot of moment resistance.

Just a thought. YMMV.

View attachment 664957
Thanks, that should work and wouldn't cost any extra. I've got some 1" pine in various sizes that I could use for the removable stud.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts