DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Legend in my own Mind
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, Thanks for letting me on. I did some surfin' and lurking and didn't find what I needed to know so I joined up so I could post the problem.

I'm a diy kinda guy. Mostly because I am cheap and I hate giving my hard earned money to people that do work I know I can do and getting substandard results.

We tend to buy project houses to live in and the wife puts up with my slowness getting things fixed and working.

Seems I cant put up any pix or I would show some of our projects.

Thanks for letting me on.

·
Remodel and New Build GC
9,461 Posts
Texast.....

Welcome... are you flipping... as a business... as a hobby.

After several posts, than you can post pics.

You can do some dummy posts

·
Legend in my own Mind
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wouldn't call it "flipping" as we stay long enough so as not to get hit with the tax implications of that. We tend to buy shabby and polish the turd. I like plumbing and try hard on electrical. We do tile work and I've been studying up on concrete counter tops as the wife wants to try that.

The current house was bought as a project from hud. Missing seven doors(including the back door that was a sheet of plywood) and had a Half full black pool. We got most of the doors replaced(still working on two and some of the trim) and got the pool swimming. We have been here five yrs but we have kids and I have a full time job too. So stuff is kind of a hobby and I like working on stuff . Kids love the pool and the oldest helped with the tile job in the hall bath and the tongue n groove for the bath ceiling. I'll put up some pix when I'm able.

·
JUSTA MEMBER
15,284 Posts
You should have enough posts now to post pictures.

Welcome. I see that you are teaching your children the art of D I Y, good for you.

There are many volunteer advisers here with plenty of experience to advise you on every homeowner D I Y project imaginable,

So bring on the questions.

ED

·
Legend in my own Mind
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Hall Bath tile job

Spout for the tub. I bought this plastic adjustable piece but it was too "flimsy" for my crew. They would have had it broken off.

·
JUSTA MEMBER
15,284 Posts
I never saw a plastic nipple for that part of a spout attachment.

They are usually a 1/2 inch galvanized pipe nipple the length needed to screw the spout onto and snug up to the wall, then a little caulk to seal the spout to wall contact, to prevent water infiltration behind the spout.

ED

·
Remodel and New Build GC
9,461 Posts
Good for you TT......

DIY...RnR can be a great hobby, past time..... and although slow as you live in it, very financially rewarding... especially considering the tax advantages.

I'm older and pretty much retired now, but my family always bought something we could improve..... and thru the years, you'll build plenty of equity.

There are not many jobs you can not learn to be at least sufficient at, gather tools as you need them.... and your skill and tools will more than pay for themselves thru life.

AND now, we have the internet and video's and plenty of information available.

I note you can develope your skill a little with picture taking,:wink2: but what I can see of your tile work, I think you are learning fast.... looks great.

Where in Texas are you......

·
Legend in my own Mind
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not my first tile job. I've done several floors, baths, and showers over the years. That was the latest and one that the oldest daughter was in on. We have moved around a bit chasing dollars and jobs. I am hoping this job I have now will be my last but as I've learned over the years nothing is always or never.

I am knee deep in an electrical snafu which is why I joined. I'm going to put a post together for the electrical section and see if anyone has ideas on what I can try next.

·
Legend in my own Mind
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I didn't see a way to send a pm. We are in the DFW area. Pretty central and ill leave it there. Never know what kind of stalkers are out on the interwebs.

Yes, building equity through elbow grease is kinda what we do. I tend to wrench on our vehicles too so there is that taking up my time also.

·
Legend in my own Mind
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Tried that. Only got three choises and send a pm/start a conversation wasn't one of them. Oh well, I may need some seasoning before I get that privilege.

I put a post into the electrical section about my prob. I'm thinking it is outside the house but not sure.

http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/power-missing-631033/

Yeah, just a phone camera, not really high tech as far as photography goes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts