DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I'm installing a casement egress window in my basement. I plan on putting in 2x framing and a header in the concrete rough opening. The window still has the nail fin on. Should I just flush mount it against the framing? and trim around the window, or should I cut off the nail fin and screw the window into the middle of the framing?

Attachments

·
Naildriver
18,509 Posts
Take the nailing fin off and flush mount it if that is an option. Be sure to seal well between the window and frame. That way, your trim will sit flatter. Be sure to flash over the top of the window. I say this method, since you will have no siding merging into the window trim as it is normally done. Having a flush mount with concrete surrounding will look better.

·
retired framer
63,205 Posts
We leave the buck in and install flanged windows and make them water proof with hard and flexible flashing and if water ever gets in there it has a path out the bottom, we set the window on 1/4" shims and old the bottom flange out with 1/8" shims.
This is code here.

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.