DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to start doing the rough in for the ceiling light fixtures in the garage. I will install fluorescent light strip fixtures and I was wondering what most of you prefer doing for the rough in. I have two options in mind;
1) Staple the wire to a stud and make a hole in the drywall and tuck in the romex connector (common rough in option); or
2) Install electrical boxes (flush with drywall - the light strips would cover the outlet box holes)

Both options are acceptable by local code. The inspector said it was simply a matter of preference.

I wanted to get some feedback (pros and cons) of both options.

Thanks.

·
Registered
37,222 Posts
I install the boxes set to 1/2" just like you would in a wall or where the door opener plugs in. I add cords to the light fixtures and plug them in instead of hard wiring.
This way I can just unplug one light if it needs to be worked on and still have all the other lights working.

·
flipping slumlord
5,116 Posts
I'm about to start doing the rough in for the ceiling light fixtures in the garage. ... I will install fluorescent light strip fixtures...
Is the drywall ceiling already in place?
If not then recess the fixtures with all wiring behind that.

If the plan is just for the $10 chain suspended shop lights ...
then set j boxes with receptacles around the ceiling as needed.
Hang them as you please then plug them in.

·
Electrical Contractor
1,145 Posts
I'm about to start doing the rough in for the ceiling light fixtures in the garage. I will install fluorescent light strip fixtures and I was wondering what most of you prefer doing for the rough in. I have two options in mind;
1) Staple the wire to a stud and make a hole in the drywall and tuck in the romex connector (common rough in option); or
2) Install electrical boxes (flush with drywall - the light strips would cover the outlet box holes)

Both options are acceptable by local code. The inspector said it was simply a matter of preference.

I wanted to get some feedback (pros and cons) of both options.

Thanks.

4' light fixtures just leave the wire out ... jump from light to light

1) more fexibility at install

2 ) you will not have hidden juction box under the light, or do anything on the surface ... connections will be made inside the fixture

·
Electrical Contractor
1,145 Posts
I install the boxes set to 1/2" just like you would in a wall or where the door opener plugs in. I add cords to the light fixtures and plug them in instead of hard wiring.
This way I can just unplug one light if it needs to be worked on and still have all the other lights working.

how does one turn off the lights ???

·
Registered
37,222 Posts
Depending on the size of the garage I wire the outlets for the lights to one or two switches right next to the man door.

·
Electrical Contractor
1,145 Posts
Depending on the size of the garage I wire the outlets for the lights to one or two switches right next to the man door.

was wondering how you switch the outlet ( garage door opener and the light, split the resepticle )....and save money and time ....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts