DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would cause odd AC voltage, 13, 24, 6, readings on Fluke meter? I have cleared it and still getting them.

·
Registered
37,264 Posts
Going to have to share what and were your testing.
Just sounds like what's called phantom voltage.

·
A "Handy Husband"
12,344 Posts
Sounds like a fluke voltage (sorry couldn't resist). Probably induced phantom voltage. Connect a 60 watt light bulb across the measurement point and see if the voltage goes away.

·
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek
3,403 Posts
I second the votes for phantom voltage on a dead receptacle or a broken/loose test lead. If not that, then a low battery in the meter - although Flukes don't usually have a problem with false readings on low battery.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, I do need to change out leads, that I have and have new battery. Also will try the light bulb. Thanks

·
JOATMON
15,320 Posts
I go through a set of leads about once a year.....

I buy the real Fluke leads...typically off Amazon. They are made with a much softer rubber and are easier to use. The ones I like have removable tips....lets me swap in the alligator tips....sort of like having a third hand.

Also....if you have the yellow protective 'glove' for the meter, see if you can get the magnet.....they make a strap that hooks into the back of the case and it has a magnet on the end....strong enough to hold the meter when stuck to the top of a Hoffman box. Love that magnet...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts