DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
do they make a kit to convert the old style water heater -gas- to pvc pipe vented out side wall? from a metal flue style?

how do pvc vented water heaters differ from a flue style?

Remodeling and really dont have good area to run flue,plus less roof penetrations the better

this house is getting a hi eff furnace so no flue there. I wanna go flueless!!!

·
Registered
9,618 Posts
A traditional flue water heater uses "gravity" (convection) for exhaust. A small diameter flue requires forced or pumped exhaust. You can't retrofit a traditional heater with forced air becuase it will interfere with the gas burner and also cause unnecessariy heat loss out the flue.

·
Registered
227 Posts
What Allen or Allan (Sorry did not see if it was an A or E) said is correct. Your option to go flueless would end up being an Electric or power vent both of which require a new water heater. The only one that will prevent penetrations through the roof or wall wold be an Electric

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OKAY OVERALL which is a cheaper way to go,,,electric or power vented gas? Initial cost for a long life elec. heater vs good power vented? ongoing monthly operating cost?

·
Registered
227 Posts
I hate that question... Here is why... I have no Crystal ball!

If you would have said 15 years ago I would be glad to see gas at $350 a gallon I would have said you were crazy. Now it is a fact. Sorry but this is what I tell all my friends family and clients... Here are the facts

Gas will have an initial start up price higher than Electric for installation... With Electric you may also need an Electrician which could actually even them out... but a Power vent will cost more than both of them.

As far as on going cost.. It is a commodity and no one can predict the price of electricity and gas in the future....

I hope it makes sense

·
Registered
9,618 Posts
In most areas an all electric water heater will cost somewhat more in operating costs than a natural gas heater including the power vented models (that use electricity). Power vented heaters make up for some of the electricity for the fan by stopping the flue air flow when the burner kicks off. The flue flow with the burner off always steals at least a little heat from the water since the flue flow goes up the middle of the tank.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts