DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We recently had some much heavier than usual rains in south Texas and it stayed 90+% humidity for almost two weeks after 8-12" of rain in my area. Perhaps a week after, I started noticing the floor in one section would start popping when I walked past it, five feet away. The house is a single story, slab foundation. The section is about 3x6ft, right next to a section of three windows (3x5 each). All of the original Champion windows have some sort of problem, and replacing them has been on the list. Outside is a patio and a inverted corner of the roof. There is a open expansion gap between the house and the patio about one inch. The patio slab does visibly have the slightest slope away from the house, along with a 2ft roof overhang (so there is some water going into the gap, but not pouring). During the rains, I never noticed any signs of water getting in where it shouldn't. There are no signs of water damage on the walls or floors. The exterior wall is covered in vinyl siding and appears to be in good condition.

The house is built in 89, and there are many things that lead me to believe the build is sub-par, and so were the previous owners' efforts. The cheap laminate flooring, that is one of the very few things that was done by any of the previous owners, appears to be just laid on top of the original white and yellow, "80s, 1/8" sticker linoleum". I can see they shorted a few pieces of the new floor under the dishwasher, its not glued down all the way there.

I tried searching, and I am using a dehumidifier I keep at a constant 50% (and have been for a long time). I feel certain the rain was the only culprit. I'm really trying to get an idea HOW SERIOUS this might be. Is this a sign all this water caused foundation issues. Do I need to replace or fix these windows as soon as I can? Is this something I should file an insurance claim over? Did the excessive and long lasting humidity just effect the glue in this area? Could somebody please help give me an idea of what to expect and what would be the best way to proceed or verify the situation? Thank you.

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
If the windows get wet when it rains, unzip a piece of vinyl siding underneath one of the windows and tell us what you find.

But if the slab outside is not several inches lower than the slab inside you probably have water migrating under the bottom plate when it rains.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts