DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we are looking for flooring options that we can install that will not require replacement after flooding..

We have lived in our home for little over 8yrs now..and in that time, we have been thru 2 floods, first one wasnt bad, little water in few rooms, easy enough to soak up, fan dry, and carpet clean the areas.. this last year was worse, entire house was flooded with about 1 to 1.5 inchces of water everywhere..

ALL the flooring had to be removed and trashed.. except the kitchen and bathroom those were tile.. we are not planning on living here much longer so looking for flooring options that will not require complete replacement if it floods again before we move.

we are considering tiling the entire house.. OR vinyl planks with the rubber padding or cork padding..

we went to a home show and heard multiple things about the after care if we flooded again..

The sales guy for the vinyl planks said that because the ones we were looking at were "waterproof" we wouldn't have to remove them to air out the concrete, that we could just leave it down and put a whole bunch of fans around the area to air it out..
The same guy tells us that with tile it would be the same thing.
Now another store and sales guy tells us that the flooring would have to come up to air it all out and clean up any dirty water.. and that tiles may become loose after the flooding if water sits between the tile and floor long enough..

So looking for feedback or suggestion.. I've always believed that tiling is the most permanent way to get a floor that you never have to replace unless tiles break.. is that not a true statement anymore?

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
Having seen literally hundreds of homes over the last six months truthfully none of them are 100 percent flood proof. A lot of the Homes here people left the ceramic tile. Grout looked pretty rough after on some and not others. Although professional cleaning helped. I've seen floor that had ceramic tile taken up that had mold developing underneath the tiles. Not trying to scare you at all, just letting you know what I've seen. Some floors were 100 percent fine and during demolition you could see that. But the people didn't want them in there home. Funny thing is insurance paid for some and not others. You could finish/stain your concrete floors but still have to refinish them so to speak. The vinyl tiles would be ok but you will trap moisture underneath. A lot of brick floors here had to be regrouted and sealed. I think ceramic or stained concrete would be your best bets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Pro Flooring Installer
7,108 Posts
If you get enough water to ruin the flooring, it will wick up the drywall anyway.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the suggestions and feedback... so is it true that after a flood there is a chance that tile will become loose or pull away from the concrete?

Im ready to install something, i just dont want to install something that could potentially need replacing IF we are still in this house and it happens again..

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
I didn't see any tile that came up that was installed on concrete. All tile over a wooden subfloor and backer board had issues, including my own

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Engineer
91 Posts
Terazzo is the most bulletproof. Tile is the next best thing. Do a good grout job and seal the grout well and you'll have less chance of water damage.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts