DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a split-level house. Lower level is all concrete. 1/2 of that concrete lower level, is covered with pad and carpet. The remaining 1/2 is exposed concrete floor (garage, laundry room & storage room). Part of the 1/2 that is covered with pad & carpet, we use as our home office. This carpet over concrete office is a room 13' X 20'. The carpet in this room is more than 25 years old! We want to replace the carpet with a new hard surface flooring. My wife likes the idea of vinyl planking/tile. However, when I did research in to vinyl planking/tile, there are warnings against ---"rolling things across it." ...Since I would like to feel free about rolling wheeled office chairs from place to place, in the office, I worry about heavy usage and vinyl (e.g. moving chairs). Also, some vinyl manufactures warn against women walking across the floor with spiked heeled shoes! Which leads me to question if this is the right flooring for a heavy use office area. --I was thinking of regular 3/4" oak floor (tuff stuff). ---My wife counters with concerns about the cement floor moving and the possibility of moisture under any oak that we might install. Ok, I need some thoughts and recommendations. Any help would be most appreciated. ---Jaes.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Luxury vinyl plank is a good choice but don't cheap out on it--look for a quality plank with a thick wear layer. Make sure to note the manufacturer's recommendations especially regarding installation over concrete as most will require some form of barrier between the slab and flooring.
I can't see hardwood or products containing wood being a good choice for being in direct contact with concrete or in an environment with high or fluctuating humidity.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Consider the flatness of the floor too.
That's a good point. There may be some grinding or leveling compound involved to bring the flatness of the slab into manufacturer's specs.
The other common choice for basement floors is tile and, with products like ditra heat, you can have a durable, hard wearing floor without the cold normally associated with tile.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the great discussion and suggestions. From the discussion, looks like my idea about oak floor is not a good idea. W0j0 recommends luxury vinyl planks, provided it is of high quality and has a thick wear layer ---seems like the way to go. So, here is what I am planning (see if this sounds ok): (1) Pull carpet and pad. (2) Deal with any unevenness and/or cracks in the concrete. (Grind down any unevenness around the cracks that are found; then fill-in cracks.)
Three Questions: (a.) What is a good filler for any cracks? (b.) If I find a large depression in the concrete (e.g. a 6" to 12" area that is 1/4' to 1/2" deep) can I use a high quality "floor leveler mix" to fill in that area? If "YES" any Brand Name recommendations about such a "floor leveler." (c.) I know that high quality vinyl planks have their own "vapor barrier" ---should I put down an additional vapor barrier between the concrete and the vinyl planking? Thanks for your help. ---Jaes.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
If you go with the vinyl plank, I would still get one of those clear vinyl liner-things to go under an office chair with casters. Office supply stores sell those. On any hard-surface floor a caster chair can get away from you way too fast.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts