DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!
I'm installing new flooring in a split level home where in the entry there are stairs going both up and down.

On the Landing where you enter through the front door I am installing Fiber floor (like linoleum that looks like slate).

Upstairs there is dark 12 mm laminate wood flooring and downstairs there will be carpet. I will carpet the stairs going down and for the stairs going up I am looking for opinions and experience to decide if I should do carpet or laminte.

Given the factors below I've thought of already does anyone have more input?

-laminate is harder to install than carpet and the stair nose pieces are expensive

- laminate is a little bit slippery for stairs and we have a very old Great Dane dog

- Carpet might look weird meeting the wood and fiber floor without meeting other carpet, though the carpeted stairs will be visible from the entry.

Thanks in advance!

·
Banned
374 Posts
Hello!
I'm installing new flooring in a split level home where in the entry there are stairs going both up and down.

On the Landing where you enter through the front door I am installing Fiber floor (like linoleum that looks like slate).

Upstairs there is dark 12 mm laminate wood flooring and downstairs there will be carpet. I will carpet the stairs going down and for the stairs going up I am looking for opinions and experience to decide if I should do carpet or laminte.

Given the factors below I've thought of already does anyone have more input?

-laminate is harder to install than carpet and the stair nose pieces are expensive

- laminate is a little bit slippery for stairs and we have a very old Great Dane dog

- Carpet might look weird meeting the wood and fiber floor without meeting other carpet, though the carpeted stairs will be visible from the entry.

Thanks in advance!

I would suggest solid stair treads and risers. Then stain them to match the other flooring. These will hold up best, & can be refinished in the future.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts