DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently moved in to a new home. Behind the home is a small ~400 sqft ADU that I plan to rent out. I already have a tenant lined up to move in very soon and have fixed the place up a bit (painting, light fixtures, deep clean, new doors). Need to finish getting it in order very soon.

The place has baseboard heating and window AC. However, some previous owner (structure is 90+ years old) appears to have started to set the place up for central ac+heating but never finished the job. There is no duct work at all. Basically there are 6 floor vents that open directly into the roughly 36" crawl space under the floor. Unsurprisingly, it's pretty dirty down there.

The previous owner just has normal vent covers set in the holes with the vent closed, duct taped to the floor, and they duct taped the bottom of the vent to seal it. This doesn't seem like the cleanest thing I've ever seen?

Any suggestions for covering these a bit more cleanly? I guess the best thing to do would be to try and match the wood floors and cut out blocks to fill the holes. But I'm in a hurry to get the place ready for the tenant and not eager to try and match the old faded stain on the wood. There's also no ledge around the rim of the hole to set the wood on, so it would stick up above the floor.

There's stuff like this? But this is not obviously more effective than tape. It looks better, but who cares when it's already under the floor. https://www.amazon.com/Rubber-include-Airflow-additional-available/dp/B00NXSJ71E

(Apologies if this is the wrong section to post in, it's not HVAC related)

Thank you all!

·
Naildriver
17,064 Posts
You could do the same with 6" wide window tape.

Reactions: Zak-P
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.