DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The gist of this post is to get some ideas to change our house built in 2016 from an open floor plan, to one with more privacy. For me to really enjoy the house, it’s going to need a new/bigger kitchen and maybe another family area. There really is no front entry either. Sound travels from the front to the back very easily. The sound alone is very disturbing to me. The bedrooms are clustered together, which is something I wanted because I have thing about if there’s a house fire i want to be able to get everyone out. Weird I know Also the walls must be made of paper as you can hear normal conversations through them. Also not helping with the sound are the concrete marbled floors- which I have a love/hate relationship with.

·
Registered
5,842 Posts
What possessed you to buy a house that you don't like.?

Especially, not knowing if it could be changed or not.?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The gist of this post is to get some ideas to change our house built in 2016 from an open floor plan, to one with more privacy. For me to really enjoy the house, it’s going to need a new/bigger kitchen and maybe another family area. There really is no front entry either. Sound travels from the front to the back very easily. The sound alone is very disturbing to me. The bedrooms are clustered together, which is something I wanted because I have thing about if there’s a house fire i want to be able to get everyone out. Weird I know Also the walls must be made of paper as you can hear normal conversations through them. Also not helping with the sound are the concrete marbled floors- which I have a love/hate relationship with.
Thanks everyone

·
Registered
6,242 Posts
For separation, try floor to ceiling bookcase or such.
Another layer of sheetrock (5/8 is better) can add better sound dampening. There are more costly solutions. Dense rubber sheets. Sound dampening caulk. No need to remove current drywall and fill with insulation if none. But there are sound insulating rockwool insulation and people seem to like them. Big area rugs for floor or cover with engineered flooring? Engineered floor is easy to install although you'll want fairly good quality foam type of underlayment so there is no clicking sound when walked over. This forum has plenty of discussions about problem noises after the install. Search vinyl, laminated, engineered, floating floor, etc.

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
Open floor plan is popular but I don't like it. A few years ago when we bought our FL house we looked around for one without an open floor plan. When I am watching TV in the living room I don't want to hear the ice maker grinding out cubes, the dishwasher running, or my wife and her sisters playing cards at the kitchen table. We have rented houses with open plans and I never liked them enough to buy one.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts