DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
D-I-Yer
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have removed an old washing machine stand pipe/drain that is about 3 inches from the wall in a slab on grade (main floor of the house). It has a trap in the bottom. It is 2 inch cast iron with no flange visible and is flush with the floor.

Can this be easily converted to a floor drain? The floor will be ceramic tiled as a finish. There is no slope, but I was hoping to use it as a hedge against future washing machine problems.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Typically, floor drains are 3" and have slope, but 2" will work fine. I assume it's vented correctly since it was a washer drain. If you're putting Tile down, you have about 1/2" to put a strainer on if you can find one that's 2". Worth a shot.

·
D-I-Yer
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Within 3 feet there is a 3 inch vent pipe on the proper side of the trap, so venting is not an issue.

·
Registered
23 Posts
3 feet is plenty of distance to the vent. Also, I meant to tell you earlier, you're not going to find a strainer (I can't think of the specific name for it) to block large objects from going into the drain at a hardware retail store like Ace, Home Depot, or Lowe's. You're going to have to call around a specialty store like Winnelson, Master's Supply, a wholesale company like that to find one that will fit 2". Good luck brother. I have one more piece of advice for you, never pet a dog that's on fire.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts