DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello and Help! I am at my breaking point... Our basement floor drain overflows when taking a shower, running the washing maching and I imagine using the dishwasher but I haven't been brave enough to hassle with it. Running the sinks haven't seem to flood it yet. There has been no back flow into the appliances or sinks? I went outside to see if I could find where the water was coming out, whether it was the curb or the sidewalk but I don't see anything but a bunch of overgrown grass. My husband thinks the main line is clogged??? I have used some cleaners and an auger and got nothing but a little bit of lint and sludge.:censored:.

What should I do next? I'm in Columbus Ohio. Does anyone know a good reasonable plumber should I need one. Please, I need some help! Any ideas.... I am disabled and on a fixed income and not sure what to do???I am afraid alot of these plumbing companies I can't afford and the little ones will try to take advatage of a younger girl thinking I don't know what's going on, so I want to exhaust all of my avenues first:furious: !!!

Thank you!

·
Registered
9,621 Posts
The main line, somewhere after the floor drain pipe and shower drain pipe and washing machine drain meet, is clogged or worse, has collapsed (broken and caved in). Usually you cannot see anything unusual from outside the house.

A hand cranked auger will not clear this. A hand held auger may make a small channel through the clog and then solid matter (whose composition I won't describe here) coming down later will plug it again.

·
BIGRED
487 Posts
Putting aside all your issues with distrust of plumbers, I would say your husband is probably right. There should be no water, suds, or other effluent coming out of your home on top of the ground or at the curb and/or gutter. That is strictly for rain water or run off. Your floor drain should be connected to the sanitary drain for your home and that drain goes to a septic tank or the city sewer. It sounds like you may have a "slow drain" rather than totally blocked so that a continous surge like a shower or the washing machine can flood the semi blocked pipe and cause the lowest drains in your home to start backing up. The auger you spoke of may be called a closet auger which is used to clear a toilet and only has a reach of about 2-3 feet beyond the fixture. The drill type home owner augers are only about 3/4" in diameter and maybe 12 -20' in length. Definitely not big enough to open up a 4" line. You could go to a rental house and rent a rodder with a 1" cable in 20' lengths and various cutter heads that will clean out a 4" pipe of all debris and roots to a diameter of about 3 1/2". Those units will push 150-175' cable all the way to the city sewer drains or all the way into your septic tank. There is one problem though; if you are not experienced with them they can and will break your fingers or may take them right off if you are not very carefull with them. The best job (and cheapest) for you would be to call a local rodding service (they may be or may not be plumbers) and have them come out and take care of the problem.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts