DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! in need of a high-capacity overflow drain cover for our tub, and cannot find one anywhere! (I can find a press-on thing that won’t work w my tub, and some old-timey antique ones that seem for show, not gallons/second).

We have a new house with water pressure that exceeds the drain rate of the current overflow plate. I could just take it off and have a hole, but I’d like to have some type of cover for the guest room.

Background: An elderly relative lives with us temporarily. Twice she’s turned on the bath and forgotten about it. I caught it once, but last night it overflowed and flooded the bathroom. the overflow drain may have slowed it a little, but couldn’t keep up with the inflow. We caught it pretty quickly, and (hopefully) cleaned/dried it completely. but it could have caused untold damage. I have taken off the current plate for now, but does anyone make a more functional overflow drain/cleanout plate? I know nothing about this stuff. Help! Thanks! 😊

·
Super Moderator
7,542 Posts
Post a picture of your overflow drain. Sometimes you can just pop the cover off.

More importantly, get your incoming water pressure checked asap. If over 80psi, install a water pressure reducer (prv) valve on the main incoming water line.

Check at any hose bib, outside faucet or cold water faucet at washing machine. One of these at any box store.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Assuming your drain isn't clogged or slow, could you restrict the water flow to the tub? Find the shutoffs to the tub and close them halfway.

·
Naildriver
15,669 Posts
Trying to restrict the water flow at valves is not a good idea. It would be best to set the incoming pressure using a PRV set to about 65 lbs. The openings on the overflow cover will take the same amount of water as the 1 1/2" overflow pipe, so you could have a clog. One way to help would be to remove the drop cylinder in the overflow normally used to close the drain, and install a toe tap stopper. That way the overflow pipe won't have any restriction in it. You can retrofit a cover without the lever on it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts