DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am remodeling my camper, I was wanting to make the lower cabinet doors to flip up and slide in for easier access. Any idea of how to do this without a lot of cost? I have seen that they have hinges that do this, but isn't there an easier way?

·
Registered
4,113 Posts
Go to a Rokkler (sp?) store and explain what you want to do. They can get almost any type of hardware/hinges/mechanisms, especially dome specialty items. With the right hardware, the doors will be easy.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Yup Rockler will probably have the mechanisms you need, but they won't be cheap and will take up space. How about 1/4" sliding bypass doors? Or maybe even tambour doors?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
flipper doors

Thank you for all you help. I did go to Rockler and yes they were pricey.
Just thought there would be a simpler way. Tambour doors! No way remember I am a novice. I looked at that also, didn't think that I could tackle that.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Tambour doors! No way remember I am a novice. I looked at that also, didn't think that I could tackle that.
Tambour doors are just thin, uniform slats glued to a flexible fabric backing, which run in a groove. They are doable with a table saw and a router.

Another possibility, instead of sliding doors, make a deep saw kerf in the top of the door opening and a shallow one in the bottom. The width of the kerf will be the door thickness. This way you can slide a panel up and in and remove it when necessary.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts