DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there. I recently installed retrofit LED recessed downlights in a few rooms. The lights are dimmable but I never updated my dimmer switches to LED compatible dimmers. I had no issues for a few weeks but now all the lights (except for the ones in a seldom used room) flicker when they're on. The strange thing is that they don't really flicker during the day or early evening, but they will flicker at night.

Furthermore, in one room, the lights don't fully go off. There is a very small amount of light that stays on and is barely noticeable.

Is this all being caused by the switches? Is there any reason why there were no issues from day 1 and that this all started recently? Could this flickering lead to any other problems and/or be dangerous?

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
3,746 Posts
The lights are dimmable but I never updated my dimmer switches to LED compatible dimmers. Could this flickering lead to any other problems and/or be dangerous?
Me thinks you answered your own question. No way to tell what the problem is; flickering could be poor wire connections (do any other lights in house flicker?); damaged lights and/or damaged dimmer by having them connected but not compatible.

I'd spend the bucks and get a LED compatible dimmer since all lighting is going that way. If that doesn't fix it, perhaps swap out a flickering one with a normal bulb and check for flicker. If none, then try a new led light.
Best of luck!

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Have a dook at the current thread "Light Bulbs LED or not"
It contains some references which (mainly) implicate any "dimmers" involved.

Might I suggest that, while you wrote "The strange thing is that they don't really flicker during the day or early evening, but they will flicker at night.", it may be that you only notice this "flicker" at night when the ambient lighting is less.

·
Registered
10,749 Posts
You want to change your dimmer. Incandescent dimmers are leading edge dimmers. LED's and CFL's work better one trailing edge dimmers.

The LED/CFL dimmer also has a lower limit adjustment. You dim the light until it starts to flicker, then adjust the limit above that point. They don't dim down to zero like an incandescent. The lower limit adjustment setting kills the power at the set point, rather than allowing you to continue dimming into the poor operation range.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.