DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Flexible gas lines behid walls, up to code?

43189 Views 8 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  kenmac
I will be having a plumber doing some work in the garage for the heater. He tells me that he will be installing some flexible gas lines which are being currently used in new constructions and are approved for use behind the walls (not under the house). He tells me that this is much easier to install therefore it would cost less. I just want to verify that this type of flexible gas line is up to code and can be used behind the walls. I live in Southern California, so he said that this is a big plus specially when it comes to earthquakes since the lines won't break. Any info would be apreciated. By the way this is a licensed plumber if it makes any difference.
1 - 2 of 9 Posts
He's talking about CSST (corrugated stainless steel tubing) gasline. It is commonly used nowadays and works great. It does have some seismic advantages over hard-piping. Electrical bonding is very important with a couple of the major brands. Be sure your plumber pulls a permit to have it inspected...There's a lot of installation criteria involving protection of the pipe itself to electrical bonding to leak testing.

The plumber never mentioned anything about permits, I assume he has no intention of getting one. This job will only be to redo some of the plumbing from the house to the detached garage. He is planning to use this "flexible" piping in the garage only. This will feed the heater and gas dryer only. Will this require a permit?
1 - 2 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.