DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

My first post on this forum! I'm (touch wood) about to move into a semi-detached house which has a one story side extension which has a flat roof. It's quite a high extension, you have to climb a small set of stairs (5 or 6) to get to it, so like a split level off a landing.

I'm waiting for the surveyor report but there don't seem to be any specific problems with the flat roof but some point soon I'd like to convert it to a pitched roof.

From your experience, would I need planning permission to do that? It's way below the main roof so wouldn't be higher than the existing roof on the second story. Lastly, one of the rooms (a bathroom) in the extension doesn't have any windows, so would I need PP to put one in? It would be overlooking a neighbour's property.

Thanks very much in advance!

·
Registered
13,484 Posts
The description sounds like something the previous owner just added on without plans or permits. You need to talk to the planning office and see what was or was not permitted and what you need to move forward.

Pictures would help.

Bud

·
Registered
37,409 Posts
We have no pictures, no location in your profile, so it's anyone's guess on what would be needed.
Really want a window in a bathroom?
First thing people do is add a curtain to cover it up, Google Solar tube.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi again,

Thanks very much for your fast replies guys. I've realised now that this looks like a US-based forum and I'm England. Looks like this isn't the right place for me to ask as the answe will be pretty different. I think our planning permissions are a little more restrictive over here.

Also it's strange to have a bathroom in England without a window! Unless you're in an apartment with only one external wall. We would just have frosted glass to avoid any embarrassing views haha

I shall seek out a UK forum! Cheers

·
Registered
13,484 Posts
Point of origin does affect the advice at times.
Good luck with the project.

Bud

1 - 5 of 5 Posts